Thursday, June 3, 2021

One moment in time

 


Back around 1978 at the Dillman Spring tournament, the tournament was always a huge event.

 

I had gone down to the tournament in the morning,  I was competing in the brown belt divisions.

 

Charles, who was then my instructor in Isshinryu, came later because of previous commitments. He decided to jump into the Black Belt Kumite division.

 

Now when I was being trained by him he was so far above me in kumite, I literally felt like a play toy to him,  When fighting I could almost never touch him yet he could crawl all over me at will. It was very frustrating. I felt I understood what he had.

 

Now at the tournament he said, “Vic, I want you to warm me up, let’s do a little light sparring.”  This was at the side of the tournament floor.

 

The difference was shocking. Charlie was so focused that I immediately felt the difference. This was a Charlie I never faced. It was as if he had become a diamond, brilliantly shining before me. He literally played with me at a higher level than I had ever faced.

 

Charles had not really been competing in the region at that time. It meant that none of the judges really had any knowledge of what he could do. And familiarity is part of what the judges see. (Personal observation as  I would later become a judge in Pa.

 

For his opponent Charles  drew Bob Nenow.   Bob Nenow then was the PA. Heavyweight Champion in kumite.  Then the kumite began.

 

Of course I was not a neutral observer  In the end Bob Nenow won the fight.

 

If I had been scoring I recall it might have had a different outcome. But remember  the judges are always right.

 

Several months later Official Karate published a photograph of that fight.

 

The gentleman in the Black Gi was Charles Murray. You can see the old IKC lettering on the back of the gi.

 

But a moment out of time.

 


 


No comments: