Friday, June 11, 2021

Rick Niemira

 




There are 10,000 stories in the Naked City and this is one of them.” A long time ago there was a tv show called the Naked City, and these words began each episode. I am reminded of them because a now distant memory comes to mind. 


I am reminded that there are so many tales experienced by the first students of Isshinryu in America that have never been told. Explaining who the early karate was experienced by those students. Rarely told but when heard never to be forgotten.

 

I was a brand new beginner, which means I knew nothing, I had experienced receiving a beating by a 16 year old female green belt during my 2nd class, where she walked all over me. 


Sensei Lewis was having his annual dojo summer party held at a friends house every year. I was invited as a member of the dojo. The entire school was there, and karate friends of Lewis Sensei as well. It always was a grand day

.

One of those attending was Rick Niemira. Rick was a senior in Bando, but had originally been a student of Don Nagle at the time he originally began teaching Isshinryu in the States. He was also a police officer nearing retirement from the force. He spent time telling us many stories about his Isshinryu, Bando and Police experiences.

 

All of them were fascinating.

 

One time he told us this story. He began his study in Isshinryu under Don Nagle in North Carolina. The way he explained it at that time Nagel Sensei had a number of schools, and spent his time rotating visits to all of them. And each time he was there he would spar with everybody. And to place that this was years before safety gear was ever a dream, so in those days it was bare knuckle sparring


One night, in NC, he sparred with everyone there, and as Rick explained it, Don put all of them in the Hospital as the same time. Not to suggest it was anything but normal for had sparring in those days. And accidents did occur.


It certainly seemed believable to me, for I started Issinryu much later and it was still in those bare knuckle days, and I had experienced my own stories about injuries during sparring.

 

There is likely so much that occurred all over the place in those earlier days, so much never shared.

 

1 comment:

R . Niemira Smith said...

Thank you, Victor. Rick Niemira is/was my father. I never got over his death and felt so much love from him in life. He had many talents and pursued them to proficiency and excellence. Thank you again.