Saturday, February 25, 2023

Calling Cadance

 



 

 

We used to run around the dojo in Salisbury chanting a USMC running cadence. It was a lot of fun. What Lewis Sensei told me it was.

 

 

i had a gal way out west, she said karate was the best,

now she's someone elses wife and i'll be running the rest of my life

1234.....1234...1  2  3  4

 

we will run to the east, we will run to the west......karate is the best

1234...1234....1  2  3  4.

 

 

Now it is not terribly appropriate for the kids. So I will have to think about this a bit and make some changes.

Something like:

 

 

I had a teacher way out West,

He said karate was the best,

Now he’s teaching someone else,

And I’ll be running the rest of my life,

1234,

1234,

1.. 2.. 3.. 4..


we will run to the east,

we will run to the west......

karate is the best

1234,

1234,

1.. 2.. 3.. 4..

 

 

Now the Marines have many, many running cadences. Of course many of them are inappropriate for children. But the kids like running around the class, so it might be fun to teach them a running cadence.


 

Sorry I can’t sing it, with my voice.

But I am sure something like this will be useful.

 

 

 

This is one example of Cadence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gMP7HPE_zE

 

Another example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWDuJpb-fSE



 

These are not the same as what Sensei had us do, but capture the basic idea.

Of course this is just a suggestion, but one that can be fun. And keep a small bit of the USMC history alive within our Isshinryu.

 


No comments: