Monday, February 27, 2023

What makes one kata elementary or advanced?

 



 

Rh Gutierrez

 Hope someone can give an intelligent answer to this, What makes one kata elementary or advanced?

 

Top of Form 1

Victor Donald Smith

I remember Chinen Sensei in a British interview stating that a case could be made to begin with Suparinpei.

 

I just see kata as kata. As ,theoretically any move. can conclude any attack if the subsidiary skills have been developed, the same can be said for any kata.

 

Steven M. Franz

Personally I think it is ones depth of knowledge that can make a kata

 

Ron J. Brookshire Jr.

I think there are multiple answers to this question.

1. Sometimes it's the movement in the kata itself. I.e. The jump double kick that was modified to two stepping forward front kicks because students (maybe even the teacher) couldn't do the technique properly... they had seen it, knew what was there, but lacked skill.

2. Kata in the pre 1900's had a life and death aspect... no damage and end life aspect. I would also propose that there are 7 levels of judgment or increasing severity in the same motion. (Mild Pain, severe pain, dislocation, break repairability, break disability, unconsciousness W/ self-recovery, unconsciousness requiring revival)... 9 total if you count "no injury" and "death".

3. Multiple concept use... increases over time and increased knowledge and skill.

4. "By the numbers"... which is basically being able to do multiple striking in the same motion. This plays with timing/skilland blackbelts usually can get 3 moves. Under blackbelts get 1-2. By 5th degree it should be up to 5 moves. By master it could be 7. (To my thinking). Goes to something Taika Oyata said about regular blackbelts, birds (ravens) and eagles.... very few eagles.

The basic outside block can easily become a 3-5 striking motion and remain the same "basic"... just advanced skill and understanding.

 

Steve Wilson The fighting principals, strategies, and concepts each kata teaches are simple to recognize and understand. With lots of practice they are easy to do. If, as intended, the application of the kata, is also simple. "People" make karate kata and the application of it too complex, difficult, and mysterious.

 

Ed Sumner I'd disagree Steve, at least, in terms of the kata of Goju Ryu. Many of the techniques in the advanced kata are not simple to recognize or understand. I'm still searching (as I begin my 53rd year of training) for advanced Oyo in some of the kata.

 

Steve Wilson Hi Ed: I don't have as much time as you. I've trained 44 years in Goju Ryu. I've had great teachers, guidance, and lots of hard work. From my experience it's pretty clear. Again, I've found people make it complex. With great teachers and hard work it's been recognizable, understandable, and most importantly doable.

 

Ittsukan Dojo There's no such thing as basic or advanced technique, only higher levels of proficiency. My teacher says this.

 

Jeffrey L. Riggs You guys are going to hate me for this but:
Are the Pinon Kata beginners kata or advanced kata? Do you consider them "Classical" or are they what the Japanese refer to as "Gendai Budo"?

 

Pim Barnett As a wise teacher once said: there are no advanced techniques in Karate, only basic techniques performed in an expert, advanced way.

 

Bottom of Form 1

 

No comments: