Sunday, October 22, 2017

Kama



 

The kama is a traditional farming sickle, and considered one of the hardest to learn due to the inherent danger in practicing with such a weapon.

 


 

The point at which the blade and handle join in the "weapon" model normally has a nook with which a bo can be trapped, although this joint proved to be a weak point in the design.

 

 

The edge of a traditional rice sickle, such as one would purchase from a Japanese hardware store, continues to the handle without a notch, as this is not needed for its intended use.

 

 




 
I remember one time Kise Fusie remarked during a clinic I attended,  that on Okinawa, every household had kama, as it was the way they gardened their household.




 

1 comment:

Victor Smith said...

When I created this blog entry one of the youtube videos has departed. Changes to Blogger no longer make corrections possible for me. In that case I offer another youtube link here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBlt1K4KskQ