Now concerning Bushi No Te Isshinryu, I am no longer in charge.
Over the years for various reasons I adapted the following rank structure,
I was still primarily and Isshinryu program, that always my core.
But I addressed issues like:
1. Supplementary kata for beginning youth, to slow down what they had to learn, and build stronger skills for their eventual Isshinryu studies.
2. The requirements were the standard for everyone, but adults tended to move through the beginning kata as a faster pace.
3. I incorporated various mandatory supplemental kata from numerous systems so long term students could gain a larger understanding of what other systems did, in part.
4. I squarely face the reality that my students had friends in many other karate programs and their friends were black belts often after 2 years. So I reset the youth ranks, adopting junior black belts. That did not change the youth time to reach full shodan, which remained 7 to 9 years. It also did not increase the number of students remaining training either. Just a small acknowledgment of what they were accomplishing.
5. Kobudo training was for the most part something for dan study.
6. My own studies (senior) were not for others.
7. Instructor was not a dan rank, they had different challenges to keep their minds working.
8. Effectively there were 2 dan ranks, Ni dan and San dan, both lifetime studies in their own right. The day by their own effort determines how far they go.
# Youth rank Kata Adult rank Kata source
1 White Sho White Shorin Matsubayshi
2 Purple Kyozai School Kata on Okinawa
3 Orange Annaku White Shorin Kyan
4 Yellow Seisan Yellow Isshinryu
5 Blue Saifa Yellow Goju Ryu
6 Green Seiunchin Yellow Isshinryu
7 Brown Naifanchi Blue Isshinryu
8 Brown Wansu Blue Isshinryu
9 Jr. Black 1 Chinto Green Isshinryu
10 Jr. Black 1 Lung Le Kuen Brown Pai Lum
11 Jr. Black 2 Kusanku Brown Isshinryu
12 Jr. Black 2 Nijushiho Brown Shotokan
13 Jr. Black 3 SunNusu Brown Isshinryu
14 Jr. Black 3 Sanchin Brown Isshinryu
15 Bando Staff Brown* Bando
16 Bando Stick 1 Brown* Bando
17 Bando Stick 2 Black 1 Bando
18 Matzan Tildur Black 1 Tjimande
19 Kusanku Sai Black 2 Isshinryu
20 Tokomeni No Kon Black 2 Isshinryu
21 Urashie no Bo Black 2 Isshinryu
22 Wansu No tonfa Black 2 Victor
23 Chantan Yara no Sai
24 Shi Shi No Kon no Dai
Black 3 Isshinryu
25 “Chia Fa” tonfa Black 3 Isshinryu
26 Gojushiho Black 3 Isshinryu
27 Tanto Drills Instructor Sutrisno
28 Kama Drill Instructor Victor
29 Chosen No Kama Sho
30 Chosen No Kama Dai
31 Tomari Rohai Senior Shorin
32 Aragaki Sochin Senior Shorin
33 Seipai Senior Goju
34 Yang Tai Chi Chaun
35 Yang Tai Chi Sword
35 Bassai Dai Optional Shotokan
36 Suparimpei Optional Goju
37 Sanchin Optional Ueichi
38 Seisan Optional Ueichi