Monday, January 28, 2019

There is more than one way



The reality is that there are many different paradigms about how Isshinryu is taught, and interestingly each of them works to make their students become effective.

 

Of course the base for most of us is what the Marine’s experienced at Agena and then influenced their efforts as they became instructors. Probably as close to we can get to what was Isshinryu Prime exactly what was taught by Shimabuku Tatsuo.

 

Along the way many others were taught necessitating many changes, each of which meant that Isshinryu was not exactly the same as originally taught. I do not believe that weakens Isshinryu, just addressed each time that there are other paradigms that formed.

 

One of the concepts I first experienced when I began training with others outside of Isshinryu, not all of them by any means, but enough to spark my interest. Those practices I came to put under the term Multiple Striking. I found it in many places, even some from Okinawans, from Shotokan, from Chinese  systems, and some from my own efforts.

 

I do believe, when possible, the original Isshinryu using extensive work with various makiwara equivalents is probably the strongest answer.

 

But there are other ways to retain Isshinryu and use other principles which can also work.

 

And I have shared a few of them. Of course knowing me, a bit more than a few. But these were all things I taught those who trained with me, as well as a bit more.

 






 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments: