Saturday, January 11, 2020

Polymath in the Martial Arts


a polymath of the Renaissance

 
Today I have been thinking of an old term I haven’t heard of in a long time. That is of the Polymath, which I could be believed to be applied to some exceptional martial artists.

My point is not to suggest that such an individual is better than a non-Polymath martial arts, for I most sincerely do not believe that is true, It is just that some martial journeys are very different from those others take, and insight me be gained by recognizing these different journeys.

First to clarify what I am describing some definition might be relevant.

A polymath (Greek: πολυμαθής, polymathēs, "having learned much"; Latin: homo universalis, "universal man")[1] is an individual whose knowledge spans a significant number of subjects, known to draw on complex bodies of knowledge to solve specific problems.

Polymaths include the great thinkers of the Renaissance and the Enlightenment, who excelled at several fields in science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and the arts. In the Italian Renaissance, the idea of the polymath was expressed by Leon Battista Alberti (1404–1472) in the statement that "a man can do all things if he will".[8]

In my personal journey I have associated and trained with several individuals who which I believe this term would be an accurate description. Perhaps a brief description of their journeys. They are not the same but I honestly believe they could be of that description. This is not a complete list by any means but just several examples to be illustrative. I do not know their complete journeys.

1, My one friend has vastly studied in multiple arts, most of them Chinese. He began in karate, then began to study a Chinese system following what his instructor then moved to. Along the way he studied Yang Tai Chi Chaun. Then when studying a Chinese system, he met and began training with a group of multi system instructors in the Washington DC area. In large part they shared forms and along his journey he accumulated and practiced hundreds of forms. He used that journey to explore systems/instructors until he made a final choice.  Getting approval from that instructor, an extremely complex system, he studied and trained for 35 years before he was able to test and pass certification as an instructor. At the same time he was teaching a group of schools his original Chinese system, continually working to make it better for his students. Only after certification as an instructor did he openly begin teaching that system to his own students. On that path he also studied Wu Tai Chi Chaun.He has decades of training students in his arts he first studied. To train with him is a multidimensional experience in those arts.

 

2. Another friend began in Isshinryu long ago. On his way he studied other Okinawan systems. But his career was to study and then translate Japanese and Chinese. He was able to train in a variety of Chinese arts, such as PaQua, Tai Chi Chaun and others. His work required much world wide travel. He trained in Isshinryu again on Okinawa. When in Israel he opened an Isshinryu dojo there. Studied Krav Maga with the founder and became an instructor. Years later we became friends but distance made our training together impossible. He took the time to visit my Tai Chi group and observe when he learned I taught outside all year long on Sundays. He did the same conducting his own student classes outside. After observing my group he began to explain many things all the while writing Japanese or Chinese on the ground to demonstrate the relationship of what was occurring  via ideotgram of each language. While we had many meetings they were private discussions on many martial matters. One time he was visiting and I was showing him a Kung Fu movie (to make some point). He had me stop the movie  which was in Cantonese I  believe and then began to show the dialogue showing at the bottom of the screen was saying something different from what was being spoken, And also the English translation was saying something else altogether. Many years later as my disability was coming on, one day he showed my  how a piece of the Isshinryu Bo form Tokomeni No Kon (which I could no longer do) could be done  with PaQua movements retaining the essence of the bo form as an empty hand movement. It was just the first beginning of that form, but it was a way to retain something for myself.

 

Their arts are not similar, but the depth of what they could go into came from their own vast studies and not always in the martial arts.

 

As I said this is not a complete list, and this does not mean they are superior. But in our friendship and training I have gained ever so much.

 

Perhaps you have your own experiences with a Polymath in the Martial Arts. They got there because of incredible journeys they made, often at great sacrifice in their lives. It was not an easy path for them, but it was most definitely interesting.

 

Strange, that as an old man I can still suggest something new.

No comments: