Saturday, August 8, 2020

My years with Yang T'ai Chi Chaun


 

 

 

Back in 1979 after seeing Ernest Rothrock give a T'ai Chi demonstration at his Scranton school,I convinced  Rothrock  Laoshi to take me on as a t’ai chi student. I was the only individual studying t’ai chi with him at that time. Class consisted of a ½ hour lesson once a week.

 

To begin there were the warm up exercises to reinforce what you are doing in the form.   Among them:

 

1.     Holding the Play Guitar stance (where the hands imitate the position of holding a lute or guitar. You have to slowly breath while holding the stance working towards 5 minutes right side front, then left side front. When done you will initially pull a single strand of muscle in the front of your quads, until repetition gets you used to it.  As the minutes go by you will start to wobble in your stance (holding the play guitar position becomes more difficult, but it helps you coordinate your breathing with your strengthening you.

 

2.     There is a tai chi stepping practice, using a circular step you step out with your heel, then when it touches the ground, slowly you lower the rest of your foot till it is flat on the ground, only then do you begin to step forward with the other foot. Everything is done with focused times breathing. And when as you complete a row there is a 180 turn with the same foot procedure to continue back the other way.

 

3.     Every movement (even one of them ) is t’ai chi. You do one you are practicing t’ai chi. Keeping that in mind, even the opening raising you hands, fingers staying relaxed pointing to the ground on the way up, then when the hands descend the fingers flatten on the way down, Then repeat the up and down movement many times. As you raise your hands slowly inhale then as you lower your hands slowly exhale. Again repeat over and over, each time trying to go slower and slower, your breath being used slows too, slower and slower. This drill alone gets you into true t’ai chi mode, and helps you slow down till you are slow enough to work on the form.

 

Most of my first class were just those drills.  Then he began teaching me the first movement. After that practice for a week.

 

Second class, after showing him how I was doing all of it (and getting corrections) he then continued and showed me another posture.

 

That was how it went for my two years.

 

 

The Yang form we uses contains 3 sections which together use 6 rows of t’ai chi.

 

At the end of each of the 3 sections there is the t’ai chi closure.

 

The first section has 1 row.

The second section had 2 rows.

The third section has 3 rows.

 

But each row, each section is a complete t’ai chi practice on its own.

 

When I finally got to the end of the first row, only then did I learn I had to relearn it 2 more times.

 

The first time were just the basic motions of  the t’ai chi form.

 

The second time I learned to do the form but keeping my eyes (and of course breathing) on a moving focal point that caused me to rotate my head and neck as I did the form. That of course caused me to lose my balance and I had to learn how to internalize my balance as I performed the form.

 

The third time I had to focus on a very specific breathing pattern, inhaling on some movements, followed by exhaling on the following movements. That focus took away use of your ears which are a component of balance. You had to further learn to internalize your center of balance inside yourself, as focusing on the breathing alongside the rolling head/eye movements took out the eyes for balance too.

 

Only then were you ready to learn the rest of the rows. As you had the principles of eye movement and breathing to use with the new form movements.

 

After the 3rd row, I was taught the t’ai chi straight sword form,  it was 2 rows long and much of the 1st row was similar to the first yang row.  The 3nd row was more difficult. It was the hardest thing I have ever learned. You have to hold the sword in your hand, but drive its power from your center and the eye focal poing in before the sword tip as you move through the form.

 

After that I learnt the final 3 rows.

 

Alongside that there was the 2 person t’ai chi single push hands drill where each partner was attempting to unbalance their partner. All in slow motion. For all push hands drills if both partners are of equal level, they will continually neutralize each other and the drill will form an energy pump for each.

 

When Ernest began teaching me, as I was a new black belt in Isshinryu, his working push hands drills with me must have been like pushing a wet bag of cement around.

 

Then there was the moving single hands pushing drill, the moving and turning single push hands drill.

 

Then the double push hands dril, the stepping double push hands drill and the stepping and turning double push hands drill.

 

Those ½ hour classes kept getting complicated.

 

 

Then about 12 years later I was visiting Ernest in Pittsburgh and he told me I had only learned the first half of the sword form (which was a complete form in itself. That weekend he taught me the rest of the form. It certainly became more complicated.

 

And at 15 years at a summer camp he took me into a field at 3am and had me do the form (and this was after 15 years of work) suddenly stopping me in the middle of the first row, Then he proceeded to show me everything I was doing was wrong. He went into such detail (I felt as if my effort was worthless)

 

But then he showed me how to correct everything, to reinforce what I had originally been shown was correct. He gave me the procedure/template how to discover what I was doing wrong and thus how to correct it.

 

He told me his instructor did the same to him after 15 years.

 

And it was valuable for it worked for karate too. Not only could I make my and my students technique stronger, it would show me when an opponent making a mistake would present a place to attack too. Ernest visited me in New Hampshire and once observed my group outside on my driveway one very frosty Sunday morning.

 

I went on to learn the modern Yang 24 competition form and a form for beginners too. Later he taught me the Wu Teaching form. I had the obligatory 5 lessons to get the whole thing. Not a joke there were literally 5 lessons. Of course he gave me a video of his instructor doing the form ( which helped a great deal between those lessons) and the Wu Teaching Form was related to my Yang form which helped.

I remember that initial lesson, once again I pulled a single strand of muscle in my front quadrecps muscle of my left leg.

 

I got what I got. But that Wu form made a great difference in al my t’ai chi palm strikes too.

 

But when those who were training with me chose to discontinue training and I was again on my own, I discontinued the 24 and the Wu, keeping up my Yang for me.
I realized I did not really need multiple t’ai chi form for my own study.

 

 

Years later my disabilities hit me hard, I could no longer do the correct t’ai chi stepping, It took me a year but eventually I worked how to do the Yang form with less stepping, replacing that movement with swaying.
 
 
 

 

That is a short overview about what I experienced.
The other stuff is far deeper.
 
 
 

No comments: