Wednesday, August 26, 2020

By sharing we all grow


On a recent post on my blog I took a look at a few karate application studies made by Funakoshi Ginchin from his book the 1926 Karate Do Kyohan. They can be found at : https://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2020/08/a-few-glimpses-of-what-karate-use-was.html

 

I am continually looking at what I have seen and thinking on what that can mean to today’s martial arts developing.

 

I share my blog posts hoping they will inspire discussion and everyone can gain by learning something new.

 

Mairozio Di Stefano has done just that. He translated the text accompanying those photos  into Italian and then into English for us. Allowing all of us to see more.

 


An interesting article about what karate used to look like on this blog. With the permission of the author of the blog, master Victor Donald Smith, I translated the captions into Italian. Unfortunately some parts of the photos are missing, and so there are holes indicated with [...]. As always, I may have made some mistakes here and there and some translation choices, such as ′′ reverse hammered ′′ for ′′ sakazuchi ", may be questionable .... Thank you all for your attention!

 

When it comes to 1


1: kumite n. 4
2: 5: godan kosa uke [low crossing reception]
3: (ready) yoi position [ready] equals before
(striker) At command ′′ 1 ′′ [strikes] the opponent to genitals
(defender) Quickly recall the right leg and, opening the body [...] of the opponent [...]
The eyes remain fixed on those of the opponent.
(striker) At command ′′ 2 ", keeping your right foot where it is (a [...] compared to your left foot) [...]  right fist must be stretched naturally, [...]

4: gedan (1)
5: gedan (2)

 


 

When it comes. 2


1: n. 196
2: n. 197
3: kumite n. 4
4: variant 3, part 2 (1)
5: variant 3, part 2 (2)
6: n. 198
7: number 2, variant 3 part 2
8: (yoi) like before
(1) Attacker: he draws the attention of the opponent with his right fist and, seeing an opening, with a cry ′′ and ′′ hey!" he throws his right foot by kicking low with ascending trajectory.
Defender: recalls your right foot and, opening the body, with your left hand, controls the opponent's tibia, and at the same time brings your right fist to the side (image 1, above); aiming at the point of kyoshi in the center of the tibia, he hits him with his right fist
(2) Attacker: When his right leg is intercepted by his opponent, he immediately recalls his right leg and, while avoiding the opponent's technique, he points to the opponent's jodan targets by throwing a right fist.
Defender: he portrays the bust back and avoids the opponent's fist (or he can also hit and move him using his left hand); following he sweeps away with his right hand the right foot that is kicking him, and hits the genitals with his right foot in ascending direction.

9: variant 3, part 2 (3)

 



When it comes. 3


1: n. 237
2: n. 238
3: kunite n. 4
4: reverse hammered [sakazuchi] (1)
5: reverse hammered [sakazuchi] (2)
6: n. 239
7: n. 9 reverse hammer [sakazuchi]
8: (yoi) yoi's position equals no. 1 of before
(striker) those who attack take a step forward with their right foot and, at the same time, strike with their right fist, aiming at jodan
(defender) those who defend quickly recall the left leg and open the body; then, as in (1), with their right hand he performs jodan uke and with a yori ashi suddenly sticks under their armpit; as in (2). ), he brings his right hand from the opponent's right armpit to his back, and wraps his belly with his left hand. In the meantime,
(kime) with a cry ′′ ei!", it puts energy, as can be seen in (3), and projectes the opponent to the ground by turning his body upside down.
(Attention) In the position of (3), if the defender lowers his hips and, keeping the opponent's head down, he knocks her to the ground, this could prove extremely dangerous, and therefore, unless he is facing A particularly strong enemy and his life is in real danger, it is necessary to take him to the ground and let him slide little by little.

9: reverse hammered [sakazuchi] (3)

 



.When it comes. 4


1: n. 275
2: n. 276
3: kumite n. 4
4: stick vs karate n. 6 (1)
5: stick vs. karate n. 6 (2)

  


Maurizio Di Stefano First I must congratulate you on the magnificent effort you have made to translate these pages from Funakoshi Ginchin book , the 1936 Karate do Kyohan , I used for my blog post discussion.

 

When I started sharing my blog posts, really made to inspire my students to keep their minds actice, I hoped my words might inspire discussion so everyone could advance our understanding, mine as much as others.

 

Your response has exceeded anything I hoped would happen. Because of your effort everyone can grow in knowledge.

 

Second, I am just Victor.  I appreciate your use of master with my name, but I am most unworthy of such a title.

 

For one thing I trained very hard with 6 individuals whose skill and knowledge showed me they were worth such a title. But never did they see themselves as such. They were always to focused on training, sharing and yes improving to stop and use such to describe themselves.

 

I am but a shadow of a reflection of their skills, I learned much from them, but I agree all that is important must always be on the floor.

 

And now unable to do much myself, I just hope to share with my senior students a few of my memories and ongoing studies.

 

Third, a long, long time ago I worked up a definition for a master that I still believe has merit.

 
A master is someone others remember their name 25 years after their death.

 A grand-master is someone others remember their name 50 years after their death.”

 

I have no desire to ever find out if I qualify as Death must come first.

 

Live well and prosper,

 

Victor

Bottom of Form 1

 

 

No comments: