Friday, December 6, 2019

More on The Secret Royal Martial Arts of the Ryukyu by Matsuo Kanenori Sakon



I think I will wrap this up from what I am now seeing on The Secret Royal Martial Arts of the Ryukyu by Matsuo Kanenori Sakon Translated by Joe Swift 2005.

Part Four is about Grappling techniques.

Tuide and its applications of tantodori, iaidori and kodochidori. And also a further explanation of use of Mai no Te.

Most of the grappling concepts are shown through photo illustrations.

Tuide-jutsu was originally used to subdue upstarts who took an unsavory attitude toward the king.

Tude-dori is the art of subduing with minimal injury where you exploit the opponents weak points and then subduing him through locks or throws.

Tanto-dori is where you use quick pliable motion to seize the initative against a knife wielding opponent. This also involves unique footwork and hand techniques from Undundi. Possibly disarming the opponent at will. Pressure points causing pain are utilized.

Kodachi-dori is another method used.

The methods of Iai-dori are explained, among them methods for sword disarming and use neutralization.

Part five: the Secret Teachings

Last among what was shown are the:

Uzumaki no Ken (the Whirlwind Sword)

 Tatsumaki no Ken (the Tornado Sword)


Concluding with an Index and interview

When I started looking at this book again I really did not think I would go this far. However I admit that the book now means far more than it did in 2005. Perhaps rare to obtain a view of another Okinawan system in some detail. I have seen the videos of this art on YouTube, yet this book allows me to view them again with more context.

This is not so much a ‘how to do book’ as a ‘what there is book’. I realize there is much that is now within the book, but even just realizing they do not consider themselves apart of karate from Okinawa, just another path, and within the context that what is karate has moved into the world. I believe that is perhaps more unique.

Is it perfect, alas no, but it is what it is. Useful to the day in and of itself. I have gained from reading it and I now expect it will prove useful as I move forward in my own studies.

For one thing I remain fascinated with the books from the 1930s, the initial Okinawan explanations of what karate was to the authors. Some have been translated by others (like McCarthy, Swift and McKenna) and give a lot to think about. Others await translation but have great illustrations to consider anyways.

I often have wished others would join the discussions with these works to consider. I believe many of the efforts would find the earlier explanations are still useful. But that is me.

No comments: