Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Rank and other Musings





 
I never was concerned about rank.

 
I had the same instructors for over 45 years before I stepped down. I received rank from them, each one was a greater burden or responsibility.
 
I never saw ‘rank’ as recognition for achievement, I always saw rank meaning you were to receive greater challenges or more work to be expected from me.

 
I always honored my instructors who entrusted me with my rank.

 
I  rarely discussed my rank with my students, youth or adult. Many of then never learned what rank I was, at times over years at a time. They never studied with me because of my rank, just wanting to learn which then became my responsibility.



Now ‘retired and disabled’ no one comes to me to train, or even talk about my studies. I can do very little these days, but the responsibility which my instructors awarded to me remains and my studies continue daily.

 
I acquired some knowledge of a great number of other systems of study. Some of it made its way into my students studies always because that knowledge could better help them perform Isshinryu stronger. But I never had an interest in creating a new system. I always had more important things to do than that.

 
As far as creating new systems the issue is not can it be done, rather say a brief 100 years later is anyone remembering what was created and actually still learning that system. That is the true test and applies equally to every system ever created.

 
And then Master or Grand Master. The whole idea of titles and the arts.

 
I find the idea difficult to say best. Perhaps an idea about them I put together many years ago no, might be a response.

 
I considered if anyone remembered an instructor after they were deceased 25 years, then they were probably a Master. And then if anyone remembered an instructor after they were deceased 50 years, then they were probably a Grand Master.

 
I for one do not look forward to such an achievement, of course I would then be deceased and would no longer care.
 

I find much irony in such discussions,

No comments: