Friday, December 13, 2019

Ooops !



Another memory from a long time ago at a tournament if Wilkes-Barre Pa. In the black belt forms division I was competing in, there was a man from a system I regularly saw. Their forms were very complex and long.

So he was competing with this very long form, as we would define it today it would not be karate, but the judges then accepted those forms. And as it was quite long, he worked himself up during it’s performance.

Then suddenly, a bit before the planned end, the string on his gi bottom broke. The gi trousers fell, he was revealed to his wearing shorts with heart shapes on them.

Time to hit the breaks and stop, and he did.

Pulled up his trousers, retied the string. Then turned to face the judges, bowed and asked permission to begin again.

They said do so, and he did, doing his complete long form from the beginning.

I no longer remember the outcome. Of course at the time I was a bit annoyed having to watch the form again. But he completed his form, and received a score.

It did demonstrate composure, or rather grace under fire.

Now I have seen individuals break their bo when striking their side, and completing their form without a break.

I have also experienced many who forgot the next move of their form, and ask permission to begin again.

But I believe that is the first time I have seen anyone lose their pants over a form.


No comments: