Sunday, April 12, 2020

A Kiai Story



Allow me to tell a kiai story. As I had always been a singer in various choirs when young, when I began karate I always had a very hard kiai. It probably was the only thing I got right in my early karate competitions.

When I lived in Scranton I began a karate program at the Boy’s Club there. One year after several years there I was told they wanted to do a presentation of our program to the parent’s and family of the karate program members. I had been the first program to bring young women in to the club with my program, too. This was about 1980.

So we began our program and the kids did a group Seisan kata demo. Seisan kata as I was taught had two kiai points in the kata. Of course the kids just did a very soft much warbling kiai, and the crowd tittered.

At that point I interjected into the demonstration giving those families a lecture on the purpose of kiai.

First I had everyone stand up. Then I proceeded to describe the purposes of kiai, namely to strengthen a technique when it was given with that technique, and/or to startle an opponent on hearing the sound. I also explained that kiai was just the term to describe the sound.

I was speaking softly throughout the talk. I then explained the youth being young did their best but their kiai would eventually develop to another level.

Then without warning I blasted out my best KIAI! All standing suddenly hearing it dropped into their seats. I had made the point what kiai could do.

Then the demonstration program continued.

No comments: