Thursday, April 2, 2020

My adult program began in 1986




 


When I moved to Derry NH, I used what I had acquired from training with many friends to make some changes to my program.

 

First I adopted a number  of subsidiary kata to prepare beginners more strongly for the Isshinryu I always taught. My program was not teaching self defense, it was not an exercise program, and while for some years it really was not a sport program. What it was, was an Isshinryu program.

 

Later there would be other additions, more subsidiary kata to honor those who shared with me, and consequently give my students some idea what other karate-ka were doing in their systems. They would also get a taste of a form from a Chinese system. As a result of those additional supplemental forms, the Isshinryu kobudo was shifted into dan training.

 

I began a very small adult program that held classes after the Tuesday youth class at the Boys and Girls Club, and Saturday class mornings at the club as they were not open, then moved outside to my back yard over the summers. Many of the adults were parents of the youth program members.

 

I was consciously keeping the size of the adult program small, perhaps to be more like old time ti/toudi in my mind. The instruction to a small group never advertized the program. In time went to about 10 members. But over the decades it might increase or decrease. Some kyu students would start then when life proved challenging then left the program. But those who stayed and reached their black belt and continued another year, they stayed an average of over 19+ years training.

 

Regardless of their rank all adults trained together.   Everyone from beginner to the most advanced adult saw what each other was working on. Then more advanced adults could assist junior members at times when they were working before class. There was never a fee for instruction. Kata application studies were not taught at any kyu program (youth or adult) instead I became focused on developing stronger student technique. But while not studies, kata techniques having many applications was not hid from them either. Every student on their first night was shown that every movement could be used many different ways. Simply when one fist shot out with a strike forward, at the same time I showed that the chambering of the non forward striking hand, allowed the chambering hand to be used as a rear strike with the elbow, to who was behind you. Other times other more kata technique application variations might be shown. They were being prepared that there was much more to come after dan training began.

 

Students did not test for any rank, instead it was solely the instructors prerogative to realize when they were ready for a more difficult level of training. There would be a dan examination (based on how I was tested) but the subsidiary kata studies were also part of that examination. Many of my adults never wished to test for that examination, but were always informed that they had no choice. The choice was the instructors to be sure they were ready to succeed. It was an examination that they could fail, but none of them ever did.

 

I taught all classes according to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, meaning no two classes were ever the same. Of course there was an underlying structure for the kyu students. But especially after dan anything might occur at any time. That meant no student (kyu or dan) could ever anticipate what would come next. Everyone had to be on their toes at all times. It was a bit different for the youth program, but not so much as you would think.

 

About six months I changed the basic theme for the kyu or dan instruction. Never informing them what was the focus at that time.

 

Part of that is why I adopted that anyone to qualify for instructor first had to have 15 years experience in the program. As adult instruction at dan was 1) seasoning the new dan for a year or two 2) life time training for the dan most interested in their own abilities and 3) life time instruction for the dan interested in more than their own needs, yet they would also be in 2) at the same time. 

 

All instructors had to come from 3) training but their temperament had to be they wanted to be an instructor, not all did.

 

Then the 5 year mentorship in learning how to instruct the youth program (youth and adult followed the same curricula). They would be guided at what to look for and how to inspire students to achieve their level of training to then be moved along. Over that 5 years, they had to develop a student from white belt to dan. Only then would they become qualified to be an instructor.

 

The key is not that they would grow and change how they taught (for that was a component of that mentorship) rather they had long years together experiencing everything that meant even when they made changes, those changes grew out of the shared experiences. That allowed the instructors to share a far deeper bond. Over my years I assisted 2 men to become instructors.

 

But even keeping the adult  program small, working indoors at the Club or outdoors in my back yard, from time to time others would find the program. Most often they were black belts who moved into the area.

 

Potential new Black Belt students.

 

Sometimes Isshinryu, sometimes other styles. New black belts to experienced advanced rank black belts in their own systems.

 

I never began rejected any of them, just making sure what they would be getting into. I first gave them a brief reality check. I explained a bit about how I taught. I would then give a class that was very different from what they were used to, but still consistent with what my students went through.  That would give them a chance to leave with no commitment. Some joined, some did not join.  Always their own choice.

 

If my program was not what they wanted, I would suggest they could go for different training, suggesting other solid programs, I would encourage that. For the more advanced rank members I would also encourage they might start their own program. Reminding them one size never fit all.

 

Next I explained to them that out of respect for all, I would expect them to wear their dan rank, until the learnt everything as a student in my system, they would not be training for more rank, just training and learning. Everyone would begin at the beginning. They would learn faster because of what they had accomplished, but there were no short cuts as I was just teaching my program. I made it very clear they would not be instructors here, simply because they did not know the program.

 

Then if they were still interested they were welcomed to join the group. I always told them their first night that in a year I would ask them if they finally began to understand how the program was run. Then a year later I would ask them that question. They admitted that they did understand.

 

Those that stayed were very good additions to the group.

 

As for the program content those adults focusing on their own training covered much the same material as those accepting to work on more than what they themselves wanted. They were the one to make the choice how far they pursued what they experienced.  I as the instructor could only point out what was there, no more than that. But the path that I pointed out did not end either.

 

The further I went with them, the more we worked on advancing kata application, the more on weapon study as a force enhancer for our advancing kata application.

 

Yet what was important was that each of them were their own person and if the time came for them to leave their time and work over the years was appreciated.   Even more so that they could make their own adult decisions. Then there were those who did not end their time, they just kept improving. Every member’s contributions over the years made all of us stronger.

 

I believe this is a fair summation of my adult program.
 
 

No comments: