Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Something that might help you with inactivity of these days.


One time I had 15 minutes of instruction.
  



Quite a few years ago I was visiting with Ernest Rothrock for weekend. I had studied Yang T’ai Chi and a wide variety of Chinese forms with him years before. I was out there to share a clinic with his students as well as study with him, and to visit.

 

So Saturday evening when we were talking after dinner, suddenly he got up and took me outside on his porch. There he proceeded to show me a drill that his instructor in Northern Eagle Claw began and ended every class with. He never named what it was and I didn’t ask questions.

 

The drill was not long and did loosen up my shoulders as well as my upper body. I could see its value.

 

So when I went home, I put that drill into my notebook and began continuing practice of it.

 

Roll forward a few years and I was attending a clinic with Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming, the clinic was on t’ai chi sword and chi kung.

 

It was interesting and though not the Yang T’ai Chi sword I was shown, I gained some idea of what others were doing.


More interesting when he described the books he wrote, and the books he translated for those books, I got a clearer idea of what those books were about from his talk.

 

That Sunday session was on the Chi Kung drills he was sharing. Before long I realized many of those drills were within that movement form Ernest had shared with me. During a break in the clinic I approached Dr. Yang and discussed that possibility with him. He agreed that was possibly what that drill was.

 

I continued to work on it. As it was so simple at times I had the youth I taught do it at the end of class. I shared it with my adult group too.

 

It won’t turn your hat around on your head, nor will it cure illness. However it is a great way to loosen up your upper body especially your shoulders.

 

Now with my disabilities and often sitting much of the day, I use it frequently throughout all the day to loosen my shoulders and relax my body.

 

It is simple enough that I could help you too.

 

 

No comments: