Thursday, April 16, 2020

My Promotion to Isshinryu Sho Dan





It was January of 1979 that I drove down to meet Charles at his home in Delaware near Rehoboth Beach at his parent’s home.

The next day we would be attending Harold Mitchum’s clinics at the Salisbury dojo of Mr. Lewis.

There was first one for kyu students of the IKC.

Then during a break between the clinics Charles had be show the kata Chia Fa which I had been working on, as he had me teach it to myself from the 1966 movie of Tatsuo Shimabuku kata. So I did so and afterwards Mitchum sensei remarked that when he trained in Agena it was not taught at that time.

As the break continued Mr. Mitchum and Sensei were talking in his office, Charles was among those in there. Reese Rigby (one of my seniors who ran the Dover Deleware dojo) came up to me and asked me to spar with his senior brown belt. So I did.

After all the sparring I had with Charles, I remember exploding on him, over and over. He was good, but I believe I was supercharged that day. It went on for a while when I remember Charles charging out of the office and stopping us. I recall he said “Victor,  Stop what are you doing. You have to save you energy for later.”

So Mitchum Sensei gave the dan clinic.

After that the entire group went out for dinner, Mitchum, Sensei and all of the IKC black belts and I the only brown belt in that group.  As it came to us and I began to eat, one of my seniors remarked to me …” I wouldn’t eat if I were you!”… It did make me think.

Afterwards  I was taken to Sensei Lewis’ home, so Charles and I could change. Then in the living room I was blindfolded, taken out to the car and then driven around. Eventually we got someplace, and even though I could not see, I knew it was the dojo, where I was conducted inside then sat down still blindfolded in the locker room. I remained sitting there for a while.

Eventually I was led back into the dojo and my blindfold was removed.

A search light was shining in my face, making it akin to make out much detail out there. I knew there was a crowd of chairs, with people sitting In them, before me. I could not clearly make out who was who.

Then I was asked to perform my kata, one after another. Empty hand and Weapon kata. I did so.

                Seisan
                Seiunchin
                Naihanchi
                Wansu
                Chinto
                Kusanku
                Sunsu

                Tokomeni No Kon
                Chantan Yara No Sai
                Kusanku Sai

                I was not asked to perform Chia Fa but they had seen me do so earlier in the day.

Then I was asked to remove my gi top and perform Sanchin.

After that standing topless with the spotlight still shining in my eyes the questioning began.

I believe there were about 29 people there total. They went down the line with questions and I believe that continued several times. Questions in no specific order and on anything that came to their minds.

There were historical questions, questions how I would respond in specific situations. More and more and more.

Finally they ceased and I was asked to come forward. Then doing so the next phase of the testing took place.

I will not say more about that because it is private for those who test. Suffice it was uncomfortable and I went through it.
 
Then my blindfold was  replaced, my gi top placed over my shoulders and I was guided back into the locker room to sit again.

Then waiting sitting there for a long time so it seemed to me.

Eventually someone came for me and I was guided out into the dojo and then into Sensei’s office.

My blindfold was removed and Sensei informed me I had passed, handing me a black belt as well as my certificate.

What occurred after that became blurred.

I went back to Sensei’s house to change back, then Charlie took me back to his parents house to sleep for that night.

I remember placing my black belt under my pillow and then falling off to sleep.

The next day I drove back to Scranton, Charles accompanying me.

As we talked I remember him asking me this question that he told me he was considering asking me during my black belt test.  Vic, you are in a plane at 50,000 feet and it begins to crash. What good is you black belt going to do you then?

I remember clearly that I gave this answer: “I would jump up into Sanchin stance then strike forward at the moment of impact, negating the force of the crash!

So began day one…

No comments: