Tuesday, January 24, 2023

A piece of advice

 



You probably have noticed I have shared a fair amount ot kata technique from clinics I attended with Sherman Harrill and John Kerker.

 

I actually have hours more in my library. While I also have many hours more of  each of their presentations.  But those will never be shared

 

For one thing my students contributed a great deal of money to assist Garry Gerrosie, who was Sherman’s student, pay for  the expenses to bring Sherman in for those clinics. It was Sherman who personally permitted me to film those clinics (providing I sent him a copy of the videos). In turn those videos are for my students use.  I have shared some of those videos on my blog for them.

 

But after his death, I literally went crazy writing down each technique he showed (around 8 hundred applications for Isshinryu’s 8 kata.

 

What I realized no sane individual really can  watch those hours of video. The eyes will glaze and roll up quickly. Very quickly and unless you have your own school and are willing to replace your program, most of those techniques you will never teach. It was no different for me… sad but true.

 

You can view what I have posted and determining the principles behind what he shows to use in your own studies.

 

But I feel the strongest way to use what I have shared is this.

 

Pick one technique application you really like.

 

Work out for yourself how to accomplish it with  the standard attack being shown. Then work to make really work for you.

 

Next work out how to use it against many different attacks.

 

Such as:

 

1.     Right foot forward with a right grab, followed by an immediate left cross punch.

2.     A right front kick to your abdomen (or groin)

 

Make the technique yours, own it.

 

Even one technique that really works is a 100% improvement to your art.

 

Only then worry about a 2nd, then a 3rd and a 4th technique and so on.

 

Just a suggestion.

No comments: