Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Saved from the Old CyberDojo

 

Kata Chinto performed by Zenju Shimabukuro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX96cc_UFE8

 Unfortunately no longer there


  Richard Medrano Jr Look at the way this is done strong great timing and the focus is outstanding.

 

Andy Rodriguez Okay. I shared this You Tube video, but there is already debate whether or not this is Zenji Shimabukuro Sensei. Some believe this is the late Master Masahuru Sakimukai who first trained with Zenji Sensei in Osaka, and later went to Okinawa to train with Zenryo Shimabukuro Sensei in Okinawa. Zenji Sensei and Sakimukai Sensei opened a dojo in Osaka together in 1962, but Zenji Sensei retired early after Zenryo Sensei's passing. Sakimukai Sensei continued on his budo journey with Chintokan approved by Zenryo Sensei before his passing. Sakimukai Sensei was my Sensei, but it is hard to tell if this is actually him or Zenji Sensei? I am checking into this with the Takae Ryu Association who posted this video, and is claiming this is Zenji Sensei. Zenji Shimabukuro Sensei is Zenryo Shimabukuro Sensei's nephew and cousin to Zenpo Shimabukuro Sensei alive and well living in Okinawa today. Thank you!

 

Andy Rodriguez Looks like same individual performing Tokumine no Kun

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQvMccjvos0

 


 

Foster Morrison I enjoyed that! Thank you for posting.

 

Dan Smith The video is of Sakimukai sensei. I knew Sakimukai sensei when he was visiting and training in the Jagaru Seibukan dojo between 1969 to 1972. He was my sempai and we trained together often when he visited before and after Zenryo sensei's death October 14, 1969. I have photographs and video of Sakimukai sensei that I can share with you that were taken in the Jagaru dojo before and after Zenryo sensei's death.

Zenji Shimabukuro trained in the Jagaru dojo for a short time when I first arrived on Okinawa. He quit training before Zenryo sensei passed away when he opened up his first business which was open until 9 pm each night. I have continued to see Zenji San most times I go to Okinawa( one to two times a year for more than 20 years) his business grew quite large. He sold it a few years ago and is retired. His athletic passion became bowling where he became one of the best on Okinawa.

 

Foster Morrison Cool. The Zen of Bowling!

 

Andy Rodriguez Hello Sensei Dan Smith, I have done further research on the video of the individual performing Chinto. I senior student of Sensei Ed Takae shared with me that when viewing this footage with him before his passing, that Sensei Ed Takae stated that Zenji Sensei was the only one who could perform Chinto in this manner. Also, another source (brother in budo) had reached out to Sensei Walter Dailey. Sensei Walter Dailey viewed the Chinto video above and stated that he couldn't be sure if it was Zenji Sensei or Sakimukai Sensei. What is clear to me is that if it is indeed Sakimukai Sensei performing this Chinto, I would conclude that Zenji Sensei and Sakimukai Sensei's version of Chinto was very similar. Thank you for sharing. Best Regards, Andy Rodriguez


Dan Smith No doubt it is Sakimukai sensei. Zenji did not wear a black gi top. The use of the black gi was from Sakimukai sensei and Takenuchi sensei. I am away from home and when I return I will share video of Sakimukai sensei and photos of zenji. No doubt of the body build it is not Zenji.

 

Andy Rodriguez Looking forward to seeing video and photos.

No comments: