Saturday, January 21, 2023

My little red notebook on my Isshinryu

 

  



 

Back in 1979 I obtained my Black Belt in January. Then in April  Charles Murray returned to the USAF for his career, and I was totally alone with none of my instructors under Sensei Lewis living near to me. They were all 7 of so hours away from Scranton Pa.

 

There was  far less information available on Isshinryu in those days. Perhaps a few books and occasional magazine articles, none of which was the Isshinryu I studied under Sensei Lewis and Charles Murray.

 

Well I bought a small book filled with blank pages and began recording everything I could remember, and material from those aforementioned books and magazine. It was just for me.

 

I still have it, but that was the beginning of my notebooks on everything I experienced in the arts.

 

Looking at it now I see many things spelled very differently than one would find today.   Isshinryu as I experienced it was never a spelling test. I would record things as I heard them, my own phonetic spellings. However that worked for me.

 

That effort showed me the power of making notes  later to be used in so many different ways.

 

No comments: