Friday, June 16, 2023

Joe Swift and his Kobudo studies

 



 Hi all,


Well, since there seems to be a good start to the # of people here, let's start by introducing ourselves, and our various weapons studies (Okinawan as well as otherwise).

I'm originally from upstate NY, but have lived in Japan for the past 10 and a half years.

My original kobudo training began in Isshinryu, through the Uezu lineage, which has/had a very strong root in upstate NY. Through the Isshinryu lineage I learned Tokumine no Kon (a variation of Kyan's version); Urashi Bo (Urasoe no Kon); Shishi no Kon Dai (Soeishi no
Kon Dai); Kusanku Sai (IR original); Chatan Yara no Sai; a variant on Hama Higa no Tonfa; and a basic Nunchaku kata.

In 1994-1995 when I was studying at Kansai Gaidai University of Foreign Studies in Osaka, I had the chance to learn a bit of Okinawa Shorin-ryu karate and some Inoue lineage Ryukyu Kobujutsu. Although I was only there a year, I learned many kata, basically as a present from the seniors to myself, I guess for being a good-natured crash dummy for their kumite practice <GRIN>.

I studied mainly Kihon for the Bo, Sai, Nunchaku & Tonfa; Shushi no Kon Dai & Sho; Chikin (Tsuken) Shitahaku no Sai; Bo vs. Bo; Bo vs. Sai and Bo vs. Tonfa two-man drills from the Inoue lineage.

From there I moved to Kanazawa, where I began my journeys at the Mushinkan Dojo, where Okinawa Kobudo was not taught formally (except basics). However, while there I have studied a bit of Japanese swoardsmanship (Hokuriku-den Shinkage-ryu) & Shuriken (a sub-school of Negishi-ryu) throwing.

My own studies into Ryukyu Kobudo continued, and I learned from various sources, including Murakami Katsumi (who taught me Yamaneryu Shushi no Kon) and Hokama Tetsuhiro (who taught me Tokuyama no Tonfa & Goeku no Ekudi).

More recently, I have re-started formal kobudo studies with the good folks at the Yogi Kaikan Kanto Honbu, headed by Kanna Yasunori Sensei. Their HQ is in Nishihara, Okinawa (right around the corner from Hokama's dojo/museum), headed by Yogi Kiyoshi Sensei.

The Yogi Kaikan lineage is Taira Shinken -> Minowa Katsuhiko -> Kinjo Masakazu -> Yogi Kiyoshi. We are a grandchild lineage to Mario McKenna's teacher.

I've only been there for the past 2.5 years, and have learned Bo, Sai, Tekko, Nunchaku Kihon; Shushi no Kon Sho; Chikin Shitahaku no Sai; Maesato no Tekko; Seiryu Nunchaku (based on Taira's Maesato no Nunchaku); Bo vs Sai; and recently have been learning Sakugawa no Kon Sho and Chatan Yara no Sai.

Anyway... I think that all karate practitioners, no matter the style, should also experience Okinawan Kobudo... It will give them a fresh perspective on their art, IMHO.

Several of you I know, but some of you I haven't really talked to yet. So, let's hear who you all are, too! :)

Joe Swift

No comments: