Friday, June 23, 2023

Karate Kempo By Mutsu Mizuho

 

Karate Kempo
By Mutsu Mizuho
15 Aug 1933
Republished 14 May 1999
by Yoju Shorin: Okinawa



Post Script by Kinjo Hiroshi
Translated into English 29 January 2000 (with the permission of Kinjo Sensei)
by Patrick & Yuriko McCarthy Brisbane Australia. Copyright 2000



My Thoughts on this Republication
by Kinjo Hiroshi



First encounter with Karate (Toudi) Kenpo

In September of 1998 I had dinner with Miyagi Tokumasa (chief curator Urazoe
City Art Museum) and Takeishi Kazumi (president of Youju Shorin publication
Co.) during which time the subject of republishing this book came up. Actually,
I had met Takeishi Kazumi the year before at the World Kobudo Championships
hosted at the new Budokan in Naha. It was during that meeting that Mr. Takeishi
described his intentions of republishing Mutsu's book, Karate (Toudi) Kenpo.
Our initial conversation was brief because the tournament was getting under way
and I had another appointment to attend to. However, I did pledge my support of
the said project at that time.



The following year, we met for dinner to discuss my support of the publication.
During this meeting I was asked to contribute to the publication by writing a
foreword or postscript, which I happily agreed upon. In fact, I was so
enthusiastic about this project that I had already subconsciously accepted long
before. If I may mention a private matter, the first time I read Karate Kenpo
was in 1948 when one of my students father, who treasured the book, lent it to
me. Of course, I was already aware of Miki Nisaburo's "Kenpo Gaisetsu",
published in 1930, and read it at one of my schoolmate's house. My friend,
Choshin, was the eldest son of my teacher Oshiro Chojo and had a copy of the
book I think it was around 1933 that Choshin and I sat on his back deck
looking through the book. I remember he was very proud because his father's
photo appeared in the publication.



At that time it was very rare to publish photos in locally produced newspapers
or magazines. Choshin identified Miki Nisaburo and told me that he had stayed
at their neighbor's (the Tsukazan family) place in the past and visited their
home every night to learn from his father. As I recall, the widow Tsukazan, who
lived just next door to the Oshiro family, used to take in female secondary-school student boarders around 1937 and also produced tofu to help make ends meet. Therefore, it's easy to imagine Miki staying there as it so was close to Oshiro Chojo's place, where he trained with him daily. It must have been through Oshiro, that Miki got the opportunity to meet instructors like
Kyan Chotoku and others.  


There are many things which need to be said about my teacher (Oshiro Chojo) but
perhaps I best leave that for another project. Similarly, there is something I
should also mention to the author of Kenpo Gaisetsu, & his family, but perhaps
that too, must wait until a more opportune time presents itself.



After the war, when things settled down a bit, I was anxious to read Karate
Kenpo but could not locate a copy of it in the old book section of Tokyo's
Kanda district. Unable to locate the book there I was thinking about visiting
the library at Ueno when one of my students brought a copy of it from his home.
I was so happy and grateful to both the student and his father for lending me
the book.



I was so excited about receiving the book that I could hardly wait to read it.
As soon as I received it, I immediately read the foreword by Yanagi Masao, the
outline of Karate Kenpo and chapters on general theory & kata. As I read these
sections I discovered that my personal knowledge of quanfa history, Chin
Genping's connection to Japanese Jujutsu and the relationship between Zen &
budo were lacking. Even though, I was disappointed by my own lack of knowledge,
I was also profoundly encouraged to look deeper into these areas in an effort
to improve my knowledge and overall understanding.



However, I must say that as I read through the later part of chapter two, I
came across a couple of errors: 1. The ideogram 'su', of Itosu, was incorrectly
used and 2. Mutsu mentioned several things about kata which included certain
kinds not being commonly practiced but I disagree with his observation. In my
opinion the kata in question are commonly practiced. Also, in chapter two,
Mutsu wrote that Sanchin was a popular practice in China, however, he does not
cite he source and therefore I believe he was probably passing on oral
testimony. Yet, despite his lack of sources, I really think he did a brilliant
job under the circumstances.



At any rate, receiving 'Karate Kenpo' I enthusiastically spoke about it with
someone who'd been a colleague of mine for some time and was also a kenpo
shihan. Equally enthusiastic, my colleague asked if he could see the
publication. Initially, I had to refuse because I myself was only borrowing
the book from someone else. However, my colleague virtually begged me to see
it. Finally, I gave in to his unrelenting request and brought the book to the
dojo during our next practice. Even though I had only agreed to bring the text
to the dojo for him to look at, upon seeing the book he immediately petitioned
me to borrow it, "just for one day!" It was difficult to refuse him, and I knew
it would be a mistake, but I complied anyway! Even though there's more to this
story, I will not bore you with the details. The bottom line is that the book
was never returned.



I felt terribly responsible for losing the book but there was literally nothing
I could do to resolve the matter. Fortunately, the student who lent me the
book in the first place, never returned to the dojo either. Notwithstanding,
simple courtesy demanded that I was still under obligation to return the said
publication to its rightful owner. From that time forth, I started going up to
Tokyo's old-bookshop district, known as Kanda, to look for the book.



Because Kanda was quite far away from my home, I was not able to travel there
frequently. However, over the next ten years or so, I did go to Kanda many
times but never managed to locate a copy of 'Karate Kenpo.' It's possible that
the publication may have come and gone but, if it had, I was unaware of it. It
was just after a trip to Kanda, around 1959 or 60, that I decided to drop in to
visit my late colleague, Mano Koichi who worked at Nihon University's Koyukai
in Kanda's Misaki district. Much to my surprise, I found a copy of 'Karate
Kenpo' on his desk, that he'd been reading before I arrived! Right away, I
asked him to tell me where he'd obtained the book. Without hesitation, he
responded by saying, "Kanda's old-bookshop district." God, was I ever envious
of the fact he worked so close to Kanda and was able to peruse each of the many
stores at his convenience.



Even though so much time had passed, I could not give up my search as the book
was sure to show up again sooner or later. Around 1965 or so, just as my hopes
began to decline, an old student of mine, named Nakamura Takashi, who owned a
copy of the book, showed up and lent it to me. Deeply grateful for the favor,
I thought the best thing to do was make a copy of it and return it to him as
soon as possible. However, being such a huge text, with nearly 500 pages (and
such poor copying technology at the time) and the fact that Mr. Nakamura was so
kind and never bothered me about getting his book back, I procrastinated for
more than twenty years!



During this time Japanese society underwent a generation change that witnessed
the passing of Emperor Hirohito, and the 'Showa Period' (1925-1988), being
succeeded the 'Heisei Period' (1988-) under the reign of his second son. At an
instructor's seminar in 1990, I once again foolishly lent 3 books, which also
included 'Karate Kenpo!' Ironically, the student I lent the books to was
actually someone I met through Nakamura. As fate would have it, I never saw him
or the books again! Being that this was the second time I let the book slip
through my hands, I couldn't help feel like a complete idiot.

Not completely over feeling bad about my luck, I was contacted by Kanabundo
bookstore who inform me that they had received a copy of 'Karate Kenpo' and
were holding it for me. They told me that this was the first time in thirty
years that they got the book in such pristine condition and still in its
original cardboard jacket. God, you can't imagine how relieved I felt. Without
delay, I rushed to there to purchase it. This was my third and final
opportunity with the book.



I remained determined for forty years and I was very pleased when it finally
paid off after receiving the said publication. Speaking about determination,
it's only been after fifty years that I was able to resolve my observations
about karate technique since my youth in 1933 when I first started pondering
its actual value. However, this observation is not directly connected to
'Karate Kenpo,' therefore I will not describe it in detail here and now.



I must apologize for continuing to talk about my personal reflections when the
issue at hand surrounds describing the nature of this wonderful publication.
However, when thinking about this book, my personal experience with it and what
value determination truly represents, I just cannot help but voice that which
first comes to mind. In so many ways, I believe karate is the epitome of life
itself, a philosophy.



About Mutsu Mizuho

When I accepted the task of editing this reprinted publication, I wanted to
also introduce a clear and detailed image of who Mutsu Mizuho was. However, my
ability to do so was severely impeded after I began researching his past as
there's just so little surviving material about the man. I mistakenly believed
that finding out more about him would be a simple task if I checked the old
Tokyo University newsletters, because he used to be a karate shihan there. Some
graduates of that era said that he was once a shihan there, while others
disagreed! Such confusion made my task all the more difficult. The official
name of the Tokyo university karate-club in those days was Tokyo Teikoku
(Imperial) university Karate Kenkyu-kai. Since that time, as a matter of
interest, it has gone through several changes: I have listed them here for
reference:



1926 Tokyo Teikoku University Karate Kenkyu-kai

1943 Tanren-bu (Training/Discipline) Karate Club

1947 Kento-bu (Boxing Club)

1951 Karate-bu (Karate Club)



Despite the confusion, it is known that Mutsu Mizuho (formerly known as Takada)
was a shihan at Karate Kenkyu-kai between April 1933 and February 1936. I do
not have all the corresponding details to corroborate this fact, however, it is
supported through the remnants of the clubs original newsletters, information
obtained from graduates as well as an eulogy to him. In speaking with Mr.
Ezatoguchi Eiichi, the former executive director of Zen Nippon Karate-do
Renmei, and a graduate of Tokyo University, I was told, "Shihan Mutsu Mizuho
taught me while I studied at the University club." I certainly respect the word
of someone as prominent as he. In looking through the newsletters I also found
Mutsu Mizuho name listed as a former shihan, no longer at the club. This kind
of testimony helped me realize that he was, in deed, a shihan there during
those time frames.



Discovering that Mutsu Mizuho's hometown was Aizu Wakamatsu, I checked the
family name in the telephone book in Fukushima prefecture. However, after an
exhaustive search, I couldn't find it. Disappointed, I finally realized that
his former name was Takada and that I should have been looking under that
family name, rather than Mutsu! Going to the Hiratsuka city library, where I
live, to look up the family records, I found 11 names in Wakamatsu-city, 9 in
Kitakata and 12 in the township of Inawashiro. Most other cities didn't have
Takada as a family name.



Exhausted after recording all the Takada family names and telephone numbers, my
plan was to ring each of them in an effort to locate the offspring of Mutsu
Mizuho. However, before I could do that, Mr. Ezatoguchi informed me that Mutsu
had actually graduated from Keio University before becoming employed at Tokyo
University. In the end, I had to postpone my plans locating him as I simply did
not have the time necessary to continue investigating it.



What I did learn about Mutsu during his years as a shihan at Tokyo University
was, nonetheless, interesting and may help serve to imagine what he may have
been like. It is believed that he was the personal bodyguard for Mr. Suzuki
Kisaburo (1867- 1940), the public prosecuting general, before turning to
politics representing the Seiyu-kai party. It was Suzuki who gave Mutsu the
title "Ikken Katsujin" for his "Karate Kenpo" publication. Therefore, it would
safe to say that Mutsu was connected to such a man, and no doubt influenced by
him and his politics.



In the first (1 Dec. 1940) issue of the Tokyo Teikoku University Karate
Newsletter, it says, "When Mutsu Shihan ran for the House of Representatives,
he took advantage of using Tokyo University Karate Kenkyu Kai's name without
permission." As the official record of the club's activities, we may be able to
deduce from this comment was he forced to resign?! A member in 1924, Senpai
Ueno, and other executives members from that era, remembered it clearly.
Joining the club in 1926, Mr. Ezatoguchi, a contributing editor for the
newsletter at the time, clearly remembered writing, " It is true, shihan left."
Moreover, Mutsu hadn't been heard of or from since he left the club.



Perhaps, had he not been associated with politics around that time, people may
have had the opportunity to see him from time to time. His absence from karate
is enough for us to consider why teachers of budo should be connected to
politics in the first place.



The Reprinted Edition

As I had previously mentioned, reading "Karate Kenpo" really made me rethink
how limited my knowledge about karate was. With 500 pages the publication is
prodigious and I can only imagine how much work, cooperation and effort with
into producing it. Even after all these years, I am quick to extol Mutsu's work
as a great compilation about kata, kumite and first aid. Predating the
establishment of Goju-ryu, his insights were just incredible.



Not happy with Funakoshi's karate, Miki Nisaburo visited Okinawa in 1928 to
learn more and resolve his problems. This fact can be located in his
publication entitled, "Kenpo Gaisetsu." One reason I recommend reading classic
books is because one can better understand the new by studying the old. Also,
such research permits one to more clearly identify the source of karate-related
problems. What do I mean by karate-related problems? Well, it's no secret that
the historical facts surrounding the establishment of karate remain unclear.
What is regarded as the original "te/di" is not the same karate that Itosu
Ankoh re-developed and introduced into the curriculum of the school system
during the turn of the 20th century. Next is the confusion which surrounds
understanding kata. Simply put, kata is an expression of karate technique.
Before a learner can correctly understand the application of kata, an
explanation of its premise is necessary. Then there is the problem surrounding
the criteria upon which kata was developed for the school system. Without
properly recognizing these issues, a learner cannot properly understand the
essence of karate. By understanding the relationship between Karate and its
progenitors, its differences & similarities, and how each influenced the other,
we are better able to consider the true nature of karate.



I'm assuming that the readers of "Karate Kenpo" are not beginners of karate
but rather experienced and serious enthusiasts. Based upon this observation,
I'd say that this publication was a work of considerable labor and devotion.
When compared with other publications of its kind today, one can easily
recognize its depth and width, even though, it doesn't explain what karate
Mutsu describes karate as an interpretation of quanfa? Is this true? If so,
that's fine, but why don't we then simply call it so? Moreover, his definition
of kata is rather ambiguous, too. Without clearly identifying the principles
upon which kata rest, similar practices might also be confused as such. Is such
ambiguity alright? I understand just how problematic a definitive explanation
about kata really is. However, I think some kind of a general standard
outlining what we know about kata should be established before its common
concepts & themes vanish forever.



Despite being published sixty years ago, "Karate Kenpo," like so many modern
publications today, fails to provide the reader with a definitive explanation
of kata or karate. Because this issue has never been clearly identified there
remains no tool with which to resolve it. Sadly, this is the reality of the
karate world. The Ministry of Education pays lip service to describing karate
as part of budo, however, in truth they too are far away from resolving the
issue. I am of the opinion that karate's educational value can only truly exist
after this issue is completely rectified.



The karate world has changed much in the 60 years since "Karate Kenpo" was
published. Based upon this, I rather doubt that this publication will ever make
it into the mainstream of modern karatedo. However, in saying that, I mean in
no way to imply that the value of the book has diminished. It has not. If
you're someone who is deeply interested in the art of karate, then this book is
for you. In fact, based upon this, I recommend "Karate Kenpo" as a 'must-read'
publication to embrace wholeheartedly. Like "Ryukyu Kenpo Karatejutsu" by
Funakoshi Gichin, "Karatedo Taikan" published by Nakasone Genwa, "Kobo Kenpo
Karatedo Nyumon" by Mabuni Kenwa and Nakasone Genwa, and "Kenpo Gaisetsu"
edited by Miki Nisaburo and Takada Mizuho, "Karate Kenpo" is the kind of book
that continues to provide more information each time it is read.



I sincerely hope that many people will read this classic publication, "Karate
Kenpo," and continue their journey forward with kumite and the diligent study
of many kata in an effort to discover the answer to this problem. I am pleased
that this publication has been reprinted and would like to wish each reader the
very best of luck studying it. Finally, I must extend my deepest appreciation
to Mr. Ezatoguchi Eiichi and Mr. Ohta Yoshito who were of great help during my
research of this project.

 

 

 

Mutsu Mizuho: KARATE KENPO ZEN (The Complete Karate Kenpo)

 

https://ryukyu-bugei.com/?p=1313

  

 



 

Back in 1988 Joe Swift purchases a copy of the reprint for me, which I paid him for. He explained he felt this was one of the most valuable early books published in Japan about karate.   He translated a great deal of the book for me, his own efforts. I owe Joe-san a great deal for those efforts.

No comments: