Friday, October 20, 2023

That kick from Sunsu - Full foor or Heel?

 

Richard Ruberto

Ball of the foot is how I was taught but the heel is stronger. LOL

 



 

 

 

Frank Geric Did you originally learn the chart as a heel push kick or toe ripping kick?

 

Richard Ruberto Ripping kick.

 

Frank Geric Richard Ruberto I didn’t learn the ripping kick until I met Harrill Sensei.

 

Richard Ruberto Somewhere along the way one of my sensei told me he went to Tatsuo sensei and told him the American's were having a hard time with it. That sensei asked if the heel would be ok and Tatsuo said ok. It may have been Advincula sensei but I don't know for certain. Once again when appropriate nothing is inappropriate.

 

Tim Jurgens I recall seeing someone do a heel stomping kick once while warming up for a demo. I thought it looked strange because it didn't deliver the force in a whipping motion that I was used to where the leg is relaxed and extension of the movement of the hip and focus from the tanden. Then I saw him do the demo on a guy wearing armor, and I though, well heck yeah, my preferred way of kicking would have gotten me broken toes or a broken foot. Different ways of kicking for different situations make a whole lot of sense to me now.

 

Bill Pogue Front heel thrust kick. Toe rip is highly unrealistic sntique

 

Isshinryukrungthep Seishinkan Bill Pogue the front heel kick is a very effective technique, as is the ball of the foot front kick and round house kick. Different kicks for different situations. The toe ripping kick is also, if you practice it and know how to apply it. The front heel kick is extremely strong and practical.

 

Bill Pogue if i have room for toe rip, ill just burn in a front kick. ripping down on the groin is just not as quick and effective as a mae geri or kin geri, period. using a toe rip to push down on the obi is ridiculous on its face. if you condition your toes like i have by walking on toe tips and kicking the bag and makiwara, i think you can kick with the toe tips OK, but toe ripping- i don't think so.

 

Bottom of Form 1

Richard Ruberto Mark Radunz mentioned the physics of energy in another post. Great topic indeed. Concentration of impact in a small area does damage for sure. However so does a train coming down the tracks. There are factors involved such as mass, speed and even velocity. I have demonstrated with ease the impact of a short distance punch and elbow strike for decades now. I don't care how big you are I will send you back and hurt you. Finally 2 years ago, in Thunder Bay, two guys were doing a segment on a related topic. I almost walked out of the room thinking "just hit the guy as hard as you can" and "what are you going to do take a calculator with you in fight?". I thank God I stayed in that room. I asked them, if you need to get the mass moving as fast as you can to do the most damage. Then why does my short strike work so well and defies this formula? To my surprise he had an answer. Sherman Harrill sensei (who started me on this strike) when asked how does this work? Said, the hell if I know, I only care that it does. One of the presenters said, it's simple velocity. He continued, you are getting that mass to top speed in a short time "thus velocity".

 

Joseph Seremba And location

 

Victor Smith

I have seen it as the entire foot and as a ripping kick with the ball of the foot.


I theorize it may have been done with the entire foot when the kendo armour was work for kumite. But for self defense the ripping kick make more sense.

 

This was based on when Lewis Sensei told us on Okinawa the Okinawans in armor kumite used to kiek with the heel to knock down their opponent.


 


No comments: