Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Hikite – On the Lack of Knowledge about the Term.

 

 


Dojo TokyoMushinkan

 

OK, yes, I realize I should write a serious post… so here goes.

 

Everyone here should be familiar with the description of the term “Hiki-te” used by Funakoshi in his 1922, 1925 and 1935 books, and subsequently plagiarized by a whole bunch of other books published in Japan since the 1930s.

 

What is interesting to me is that he uses the term “Hiki-te” to describe a specific kind of “hand maneuver,” but does not seem to ever define it in terms of Kata or even as the opposite hand from the punching hand. In my limited experience, this definition of the “Hiki-te” describing the opposite hand from the punching hand as it is pulled back to the side in Kihon and Kata “seems” to have been defined by the JKA…

 

Now, I am going on memory here so if someone can point me to anything I may have forgotten, please do so, but I cannot remember seeing in the old books anyone actually describe in words the action of the opposite hand if it is merely being pulled to the side of the body as the other hand goes out.

 

Could it be that the collective “we” (all of us modern Karate guys) are attaching meaning where there may have never been one, just because the two terms are the same in Japanese (Funakoshi’s description of a move that is called Hiki-te because you pull the opponent; and the JKA description of a move called the Hiki-te because you pull the hand back as the other one goes out), but perhaps these two uses of the word were never meant to represent the same idea?

 

I do not have an answer, just providing something to think about on the way to the Dojo… LOL

 

 

Top of Form 2

Maurizio Di Stefano Well... Basically you pull (hiki) the opponent using your hand (te)

Frik Willemse In Judo you have the pulling hand (hiki-te) and pushing hand (tsuri-te) used to facilitate a throw. Maybe Funakoshi was still using this from the Okinawan karate roots where grappling was used. Just maybe...

Frik Willemse Kenneth Bergquist Poulsen I did a quick Google search and found that tsuri-te actually means "lifting hand" and oshi-te means "pushing" or "pressing hand" 😉👍

 

Andreas Quast It is called a homonym if the same term has different meanings. It is an interesting idea Joe. At this point, we should consult the texts first, I.e., locate the instances where the term was used by Funakoshi. Afterwards we can look into the context. The we can take a look at if and if yes how he actually described the opposite hand. And so on. Lots of work. Most difficult part comes later: The JKA will never admit anything 🤓

Dojo TokyoMushinkan Lindsay McKenzie I said "two handed weapon" somewhere in here... :P

Les Z Bubka Andy Allen you did ask for this :) Hikite found you. On subject "
With those two things in mind, I was reading Gichin Funakoshi’s 1922 book Karate-Jutsu (or To-Te Jutsu depending on the translation). In the section which describes hand techniques, Funakoshi writes that: - “Hikite is to use the opponents incoming punch and pull on it beyond its reach and to twist it at the same time, to throw the opponent off his balance," topic here :
https://iainabernethy.co.uk/content/hikite-just-hand-hip

Hikite - Just a hand on the hip? | Iain AbernethyHikite - Just a hand on the hip? | Iain Abernethy

Dojo TokyoMushinkan OK, in 1922 Funakoshi in his description of Hiki-te says to check figure 3 in Naihanchi. Here is the page wth Hiki-te and the page with Figure 3 of Naihanchi. So he does mention a specific Kata in this particular book, but the image he said to check does not have a hand at the hip. I will just leave these here and you can do with them what you will.

 

Dojo TokyoMushinkan Thomas Feldmann No, these came from a scan of a 1922 original :D

Andreas Quast Dojo TokyoMushinkan probably in connection with the previous pic

Dojo TokyoMushinkan My own tentative conclusion - the hand at the hip is a stylization to allow the Kata to look nice, whilst in combat the non-hitting hand does whatever it needs to do, be that hold the enemy in place, pull him off balance, etc.

Axel Tojo Perhaps hikite is not a specific hand position, but more general. Though it sounds a lot like aikisage from Daito ryu and other jujutsu schools. Basically the dropping of the wrist to capture the opponents wrist and set a hold so as to either pull or be pulled in by the opponent.

 

Maurizio Di Stefano Hikite is a principle, right?

Dojo TokyoMushinkan Oh, and who said Funakoshi was even correct in his writings? Oops!

Kenneth Bergquist Poulsen I am currently looking in the area of HikeTe (Pulling hand) and OshiTe (Pushing hand / to push). This is in relation to me-oto-de, or "husband and wife hands". This is described as a Kamae, and (this is the part I am working on), also a way of moving your hands and arms to release and control a person that has gripped on to you, that you are brawling with. This is very much work in progress ;-) ...

 

Mark Tankosich I wonder about how the Chinese arts approach this issue.

 

 

Victor Smith As many can attest I know little about HiKite  except what I read in many karate magazine articles (the internet of those days) and a wide variety of books. Which of course means I know ever so little, and much of that was wrong to begin with.

 

In my day the paradigm in which I was trained , no one talked about kata technique applications. Even when I began training with many, no others discussed that as if it should be part of karate.

 

So when I began trying to workout what kata technique could do, it was a step by step logical analysis for myself. What many of the schools visited did was teach wazza drills or what they called ‘aikijutsu’ bearing no  relationship of the art by the same name. What I did gain from studying with them was some knowledge how technique applications could work.

 

When I trained with Ernest Rothrock, solely a study of tai chi and a variety of forms, we did not cover much about technique applications. But he used to ask me many, many leading questions about my own art, and I now recognize that was his way of guiding my thoughts.

 

Then I trained with Tristan Sutrisn in his family Shotokan and other arts. He defined  what he called as ‘Bunkai’ according to his fathers traditions, his father had studied with Funakoshi back in the 1930s. But I never heard him utter the word Hikite.

 

Later as I came to understand the term it made sense from the aikido he shared.

 

 

Eventually I began work on my own studies. Hikite was not specifically one of them.

 

The wheel turns and I met Joe Swift on the internet and right away he demonstrated the use of geri and keri were not the same thing. My knowledge was mostly geri.

 

I realize this is getting long so perhaps it best to cut to the core.

 

So one hand punches as the other retracts to chamber. Among my realizations:

 

1.     The beginning of that retracting hand can be used for a wide variety of slashing fist strikes into the body, the neck and the head. That slashing motion towards you is quite viscous, assuming you do not care for those you are striking.

2.     There are a wide variety of uses of both hand movements to take control of an attacking limb.

3.     That retracting hand can be used as a slashing motion to srrike into or across an attacking arm. Either for the strike itself, or to redirect that strike.

4.     From Rothrock Laoshi he suggested from his experience in the Chinese Arts that motion returning that fist to the side of the body, is placing that hand there to provide a stably block as against a kick.

5.     There is a whole range of both motions becoming a grasp/pull allowing a strike with the opposite hand.

6.     And of course the motion may have nothing to do with striking,  instead being a rearward elbow strike. I would introduce that to beginners as a beginning explanation that a movement seen from one direction  would have an entirely different meaning seen from another direction.

 

Those are a few thoughts that come to mind at this moment.

 

I am still working until I know something.

Bottom of Form 3

 

As tjhe Okinawan's published their own Encyclopedia of karate and kobudo (unfortunately only in Japanese, I would be interested in what they say about hikte.

Dojo TokyoMushinkan Victor Donald Smith it's not in there, it is more of an encyclopedia than a dictionary of terms.

Jim Alexander When I have to split hairs, I go to my second edition Budō Jiten by Fredrick Lovret.

He defines it as 1) the hand used for pulling; 2) pulling the hand to the rear.

There is no reference to it being paired with one punch going out as the other comes back. To anecdotally support this we were trained to do this SEPARATE from two handed punching. Training this way REALLY creates a dynamic punch that ALSO is an attack (hijiate, elbow strike). But also (higiate ,secret technique) to an opponent coming from the rear , and the front.

no comments about the original use in literature,etc.

Manny Hawthorne https://judoinfo.com/ also found in Kendo. "Pulling hand" what I believe is the interest of this conversation, I take it to mean the torque that is created by the pulling of the opposite hand in a quick, rotatation of the hips. Whereby the formula for the power of a punch can be expressed as F=MxV² ×T (torque). Don't hold me to this, for it is just a theory?


 

 

No comments: