Sunday, November 5, 2023

Something from my past.

 

My instructor Charles Murray fighting Robert Nenow (in 1978) at Dillman's tournament.

 

Also pictured is George Michak

 

 

That day was a story. I arrived at the tournament early to compete in the brown belt kata division. I did my Kusanku kata.

 

Charles arrived later in the day, Church duties kept his busy.

When he got there he asked me to warm him up.

While he was superb in kumite, and I fought with him constantly,

That day I saw what the difference was when he was not going to spar with me.

He was like a diamond, extremely intense, warming up with me.

 

He did not have much time in those days for tournaments.

He drew Bob Nenow a regional fighter who was the region heavyweight champion. Really none of those judging knew Charles.

As I judged the fight (remember I was a brown belt not knowing much)

I felt Charles was the better fighter.

But that is just my opinion.

 

The other photo is George Michak, he and his brother were also very strong in the region in ever division.


 

 


 

No comments: