Thursday, November 9, 2023

The Rear Naked Choke

 


 


 

Kent Moyer

Should the rear-naked choke technique be eliminated from all martial arts?
This the technique of controversy being taught to all law enforcement. There is a huge movement to ban it from all Law enforcement defensive tactics. Maybe they will ban it from Jui-Jitsu tournaments unless martial artists speak up?

 

Top of Form 1

David Bubeck I think it will now. That doesn't mean I think it should be eliminated. I think the technique has its place. I bet the Israeli trained in Krav Maga are not going to eliminate any techniques. I am still "smarting" from that class...

 

William C. Cage LVNR is a good technique. It can save both the officer and suspect from injury.

 

Madison Webb The LVNR or the Shoulder Pin Restraint will probably be prohibited if this false narrative gets any footing. This is where those in martial arts and law enforcement need to explain what these techniques are, how they are employed and the medical research behind the why they are used.

 

Kent Moyer Madison Webb Martial Artists also must defend it

 

Victor

Kent, a reasonable question, but I truly doubt that a concerted effort is going to be made to apply to martial arts systems.

 

I was never taught any chokes by my Isshinryu instructors.

 

Only learned about the carotid artery choke the hard way one time Joe Brague grabbed me in the locker room at a tournament and asked me help demonstrate a technique to those he was talking with. The next thing I knew I was coming too on the locker room floor. That was my introduction to the existence of the carotid artery choke.

 

I paid attention to karate magazines that showed various versions and in a while I had 4 of 5 different entries that made the carotid choke work. But as I was teaching youth this was not something I taught them.

 

A while later while at a Bando  summer camp one of the sessions on the use of the PR-14 was given by a Georgia State Trooper. In that clinic he discussed the way police science kept changing. Every time a safe restraint came along in time they also found it could be fatal. The same was said about the carotid artery press. Where it could render one unconscious by the count of 20, they forgot that normally the officer was adrenalin charged because the offender had been attempting to kill him. And under such stress it was too easy to keep the press on longer than the count of 20, when if the press was released the subject would awaken. Instead they kept it on for a longer time, and the actual mechanism is the carotid sinus within the carotid artery which registers a spike of the  blood pressure causing the heart to cease beating in order to lower the blood pressure. If that press is kept  up too long the subject could die.

 

What he explained every time any ‘safe’ technique was misused they were set aside.

 

I realize the current situation is a knee against the back, but the same problem occurred.

 

I trained the instructors I taught so they would recognize what it  was, but used it as an object lesson for students from a defensive point of view. That should anyone place their hands on your neck, that was the instant you had to go crazy on them before such pressure could do damage to you.

 

But the range of how individuals teach all the arts is so great there is no one rule totally describing what is taught.

 

One needs imo to be rational about what and how you instruct, knowing that does not stop you from legal charges should misadventure occur.

 

I knew Kent as a fellow Goju competitor back in my Pa. tournament days. We often competed in the same division. Today he runs a successful world wide executive protection business out of LA.


 

No comments: