Sunday, November 26, 2023

Ukiwaza- Judo Throw - an Unusual Lesson

 So I was watching a video about 26 different Judo throws.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTP4K2_lynA 



One of them looked familiar, the Ukiwaza throw, so I started doing some research to remember why I thought I knew it. So found thus YouTube video on Ukiwaza.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7rXDB6S-LI 



That was enough to go to Wikipedia and see Uki Waza (浮技? ), is one of the original 40 throws of Judo as developed by Jigoro Kano. It belongs to the fifth group, Gokyo, of the traditional throwing list, Gokyo (no waza), of Kodokan Judo. 


It is also part of the 67 Throws of Kodokan Judo. It is classified as a side sacrifice technique, Yoko-sutemi. “” Then I remembered where I heard of this from. And it also brought an interesting revelation. 


First the story. Back in 1976 through 1984 I was living and working in Scranton Pa. I also ran a youth karate program at the area Boys Club. Then again I was training almost everywhere every spare moment I had. Five doors down the street where I lived their was a Judo player, Fred Murty, who was ranked in National competition. While I had visited the school where he trained once, I simply did not have time for more studies. On the whole I know very little about the study of Judo. Just things I have picked up around the fringes. 



But Fred Murty and I knew each other existed. I used to train at times at the YMCA where my wife worked. One day I was training there and Fred approached me and invited me to attend a clinic for Fred’s students with his instructor from New Jersey. 



So the following Sunday I attended and watched the clinic. The instructor eventually showed the throw he was going to show for the day. Using Fred, he grabbed his judo jacket and pulled down to the right. Then he fell toward his left shoulder with a sacrifice throw and threw Fred over his shoulder, Fred then fell and rolled about 20 feet. It certainly impressed me. He then explained that he had been studying for 20 years before his Japanese Judo instructor showed him this movement. 



He said that there was no special reason for the 20 years, just that is how it was done. Afterward he proceeded to show it to everyone there, White, Green, Brown and Black Belts. [ I have experienced similar practices from some of my friends who did the same to me, and had their instructor do the same to them.] [[I also heard the same thing occurred in various arts.]] 


I did enjoy the clinic.  


I never followed up on the movement, but I am certain it was a variation of this technique. So while watching variations of this throw, one variation caught my eye. Now this is how you notice new possibilities. But within Isshinryu Kata Wansu, there is a movement which is often called a fireman’s throw. Where you enter the individual’s attack, hoist them across your shoulders and then throw them off your back (or at least one possible application interpretation.) 


Now watching this Ukiwaza version, I could imagine tactically where you might use this throw in the same place within Wansu kata. 


When a sacrifice throw made tactical sense. It might look like this. 

                 




Seen from another angle

 


 Certainly not classical Isshinryu. 

But a possibility to consider. 

To be able to see one within another. 

A cautionary note: This technique demands exacting and routine practice to develop this possibility. Be sure you are training with someone who knows how to teach safely. Simply understanding the kata is nowhere near enough. Even practice might be dangerous to you or your partner. 


The difference between controlled practice to develop the technique and the choice to do so in reality where different angles of insertion and especially execution are intended is vast. My showing the possibility does not mean that you know that you are doing. 


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 


On a personal matter I have not seen Fred Murty since I moved to New Hampshire in 1984. But I will always have a warm place I my heart for his commitment for all kids. When “The Karate Kid” first came out he organized a private showing for free for all youth in martial programs in Lackawanna County in Pennsylvania, for all the kids and their instructors. 

That was indeed a very special day 

and one I have never forgotten. 

No comments: