Monday, April 1, 2024

I share some thoughts on Sanchin application potential?" Part 7

  


Sanchin - Three Battles within me


Sanchin - Three Battles within me (Historical, Utilization and Personal)


When I began my Bunkai analysis of Sanchin Kata (following the Miyagi Chojun version, passed down through Shimabuku Tatsuo and then Lewis Tom and Murray Charles to me), it was driven in many ways by the often-repeated statement, 'Sanchin has No Bunkai.'. To my mind I have satisfied that is not the case.


But there is a larger question, 'Why Sanchin?' which still drives my thoughts.


My own three battles revolve around trying to understand the historical development of Sanchin, how it may be utilized in my current teachings and my Personal Battle over this training.


1. Historical Development Considerations


Sanchin Kata apparently came from some original form of Chinese training. Originally taught by Hiagonna Kanryo with Open Hand techniques, Miyagi Chojun changed the form to using Closed Fists, in his Goju Ryu. The form also uses a unique stance, Sanchin Dachi and unique breathing patterns.


The Higaonna's Sanchin incorporated turns and moving in several directions, in addition to the open hand version.


Miyagi reportedly changed the open hands to closed fists. Later he created a 2nd version of Sanchin that was done without turns. The form simply moves forward and moves backward.


A separate version, Ueichi Sanchin retains Open Hand techniques. 


Whether both forms came from the same source is an open question, although both Hiagonna and Ueichi trained in the same section of China.


It is believed that the Chinese form Happoren was the source from which Sanchin developed. While I see some similarity in some of the movement concepts between the two forms, I do not believe there is a clear case for this to be made.


In my opinion, the link to the Chinese origins of Sanchin remains only another hypothesis.


Taught by Hiagonna, it was transmitted to Miyagi who founded Goju Ryu. It was also transmitted to Mabuni Kenwa, founder of Shito-ryu.


In 1933 Mabuni first communicate Sanchin to the wider Japanese audience in his book 'Goshin Karate Kenpo - Defense and Attack'. In that he trained with both Hiagonna and Miyagi, I believe that his words are important in our understanding of the role of Sanchin kata. In there Mabuni writes:


"This basic exercise is very important in the practice of Karate.


This kata serves as the basis of all karate kata, and it gives the opportunity to learn the practice of the open hand.


From the point of view of physical education, this kata allows first to reinforce all the muscles while preserving the balance and to form the sturdy body and the will that are necessary for the practice of budo, second it allows one to learn to harmonize the breathing, the contraction and the relaxation, and third it is very effective in developing tension resistance.


From the mental point of view, this kata permits augmentation of the vital spirit and practices the capacity of observation, of decision and of reflection. It contributes to form the value of being human.


This initial practice takes on a large importance for those who aim to go further into it, and practice with a calm and quiet spirit. " [Preliminary translation by the author March 2000]


2. Personal Development Considerations


It is my opinion; Sanchin is a derivative of Chinese Chi Kung (Energy Development) Forms and Training. In this context I would place Happoren, too. While the movement can be applied, that was most likely not the purpose of the training.


Now the question will be does this training actually carry over into improved martial practice?


I do not believe there is a clear causal link that the Practice of Sanchin kata will develop superior martial arts ability. Consider the many systems who do not utilize that training.


This is not to belittle the difficulty of correct Sanchin practice. Learning the correct sequencing of the tension, the correct tension itself and the unique breathing practices are not a simple study.


It is just my belief (and practice) that those practices do not necessarily develop superior fighting ability.


I think what did happen is the influence of the instructor. If Hiagonna's original instructor drove home extreme Sanchin training, who then in turn did the same to Miyagi and so forth, the profound influence of an instructor who was not to be questioned. And as the way was forged the students followed.


I passed through that causal instructor link. Murray Charles (Reverend and Lt. Col USAF) taught me Sanchin as he had studied it under Lewis Tom and Shimabuku Tatsuo. The version would be in the Miyagi Chojun Sanchin version lineage.


Several years later when I began my studies in Tai Chi Chaun I found those practices in conflict with my Sanchin Practice. As I was totally on my own in my Isshinryu practice (an event which has continued for the past 22 years or so) I decided to set regular Sanchin practice aside so not to cause conflict with my Tai Chi Chaun studies.


After a few more years, gaining more confidence in my t'ai chi practice and studies I returned to the Isshinryu Sanchin as I had been taught. I was then able to keep the Sanchi and T'ai Chi separate in my studies.


And except for instructing my students to give them the same choice, I have not wavered from that decision. I only taught them the Sanchin that I had been taught.  I do not believe my students, or my own abilities have suffered as a result of that decision.


Yes, this becomes subjective, but that is my main contention. If our instructor tells us this is important and then we practice it as if it is important, it will so become.


While I fully recognize correct application of power in kata practice remains necessary to develop the adept, at the same time I feel it is the movement flow which overrides all, supported by correct alignment and power. I do not find Sanchin practice (in the Goju lineage) compliments this practice.


[Of note, the Ueichi Ryu practice of Sanchin, done at relatively normal karate speed and relatively normal breathing practice, does not follow those Goju traditions as they follow their Chinese source version of Sanchin Kata.]


3. Utilization Development Considerations


Having described how I set aside the normal practice of Sanchin Kata 

(Isshinryu version) decades ago, my current work on the Bunkai of said Sanchin has caused me to rethink this issue.


I currently see Sanchin as a basic exercise of traditional Okinawan karate technique. Where I had just been teaching it as a historical form to my students (alongside sporadic Ueichi Ryu Sanchin studies with Chan Tom of my dojo, a former Ueichi student) of late I have begun using it again, abet with some slight modifications.


I am working the kata at normal karate speed, with normal karate breathing. This is all I currently practice. I did not teach this to my students and in time moved them to study with Charles Murray, so they would not get confused.


I feel this is necessary to develop the bunkai abilities I've previously discussed. Most importantly the Circular roundhouse strikes which finish the form.


I admit this is subjective and perhaps controversial, but it does describe my own approach to Sanchin kata.


Respectfully submitted.


Smith Victor

Bushi No Te Isshinryu


References:


'Goshin Karate Kenpo - Defense and Attack' by Mabuni Kewnwa 1933

I was using my translation from the French, but Mario McKenna's one from the Japanese is a better choice, IMVHO.

'Unante - the Secrets of Karate' by John Sells 1995

'The Kata of Okinawan Isshinryu Karatedo - an Informal Discussion on their Possible Origins' by Joe Swift 2000



Sanchin Application Analysis


I told you that this was too much for you to grasp. LOL


No comments: