Tuesday, July 23, 2024

A discussion about RANK a long time ago

 



Michael Wm Garner U.S. Traditional Martial Arts Society

 
I personally attempt to hold HIGHER requirements, than what I deem as the average standard, for my students, my school, and myself - that is all I can truly control --- No one I am aware of has publicly attempted to insult me … HOWEVER …

Tell me, PLEASE, is it Martial Arts (MA) Tradition to publicly condemn others for a RANK or TITLE they have been given when it does not directly affect you, your school, or its activities?

• When I was very young, my parents taught me, for the most part, if you can’t say something good about someone else, it’s best to say nothing at all.

• Later, I was taught Traditional MA Etiquette dictates that those who publicly attempt to belittle fellow practitioners not only do a disservice to the MA community in the eyes of the public, but set a bad example for others, nullifying no one’s legitimacy more than their own.

• I plead with ALL those we are still able to hold in high regard to maintain the dignity of titles such as Sensei, Sifu, or whatever is bestowed, and not throw them into an ever-increasing list of “restricted words.”

• Words don't change a reputation; people earn their own reputation.

• I choose to allow CLOWNS to follow their calling.


Victor Donald Smith No one is perfect, I have heard Okinawan instructors who speak in disparaging ways about other Okinawan instructors, I then imagine how they would speak towards these folks.


Michael Wm Garner
Agreed, Sensei Smith, however I just believe that revealing one’s own standards is more productive and more Honorable than simply putting down another’s. That was a major part of the reason for my formation of the US TMAS and this facebook group.


IMHO, One problem is NOT ALL MARTIAL ARTS ARE EQUAL, as much as many of us would wish.


Many years ago, the MA pioneer Donn Draeger Sensei taught us that there are 100s, maybe thousands of "JUTSU" that were never meant to be COMPLETE MARTIAL ARTS that the "-DO" arts were. THAT is one misunderstanding; * a single subject of study will only take a small portion of time to learn than the number of subjects required for a complete system. *

Another major misunderstanding is that a child could or ever even should be meant to be holding a leader's rank in any WARRING activity or even ONE-ON-ONE battling tactics.


I believe that * a NOVICE is ANYONE having less than one year -or- approx 4hours X 4 weeks X 12 months = approx 200 hours. * An INTERMEDIATE is what the average adult that can learn to perform during the second year, & and * ADVANCED or Brown Belt is a passing 3rd year student. *


A Black Belt has proved he or she wishes to become a lifetime student & has learned to demonstate the basics of a system with the Proficiency you expect within your system. *


An "instructor" should have 2 to 3 times the experience of a new black belt AND should be continuing study under a "Master Level" instructor. *A Grandmaster is a Master Instructor who has come to lead so many students to the level of Master that he or she needs a Distinction to maintain a style's standards and Leadership. That's just my take, but of course, every single person who claims a rank higher than mine or took a class before I myself started knows better ,,,

Victor Smith

I of course, only speak for myself. For many reasons I have  not joined any Association, just stay with my instructors the past 40 years. Personally we hold the highest organization is the dojo, as older Okinawan instructors held. I share and try to learn as I am able.

For our program it takes young people 7 to 9 years to reach shodan, about 4 for adults, both programs have one set of standards.

 For the young 100% graduate high school and then move on as they have more important things to do for their lives. The Sho-Dan has reached the beginner level. Their training then continues for life. Instructor is an entirely different designation requiring at least 15 years of training and accomplishment before they may be recommended. Then they spend roughly 5 years in mentorship. Then the learning continues for life.

In the dojo rank standards while kept by the instructors. Nobody cares as we all know where we are. So far there are 2 others who have reached instructor level and today they run our program where I supervise their efforts and focus on the beginners to start them right.

I am well aware that all programs are not equal, several of my friends programs are lifetime efforts. Speaking for myself we are not a commercial program though I am not against said programs. At different times I paid plenty for unique instruction,  and at times friends offered same for free.

I personally deplore those programs which are leading good individuals into suspicious programs.

No comments: