Sunday, July 7, 2024

Kata Start and Ending - Part 1




This discussion is about Kata Start and Ending Points. I think it useful to begin with a definition of what Embusen means from Wikipedia.
 
This is another Cyber Doho discussion that I have broken into 5 parts.

It was a worthwhile discussion, but it would be decades before I realized its relevance to my Isshinryu. I will follow this with an older post from my blog explaining that. Enjoy!



Embusen  From Wikipedia
    
Embusen (演武線) is a Japanese term used in martial arts like karate and judo to refer to the spot where a kata begins, as well as its line of movement. Though it is not stressed in Okinawa, nearly all Japanese-influenced kata start and end on exactly the same embusen point (Kiten). This word is also commonly romanized as enbusen.


The embusen line varies for each series of kata. It is always perpendicular to the battle line of an engagement and is the line one travels back and forth in battle. So it is, for example, a straight line for the Shōtōkan Tekki series of kata. It follows the form of a capital letter I for the Heian series of kata, as well as for the Taikyoku series. More advanced kata, such as Shotokan's Kanku-Dai and Gojūshiho Dai and Sho kata, as well as the Gōjū-ryū Seipai and Kururumfa kata, for example, have increasingly more complex embusen to train the practitioner in more advanced defensive angles and footwork. For any kata, the embusen is fixed and must be followed exactly for proper mastery of the style.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 I think if trying to begin an end on the same spot assist in your personal development then you should do it.


Respectfully, I have read and heard about beginning and ending at the same spot from my friends who train in Shotokan and Shorin styles, but honestly, in 32 years of practicing Goju kata and having received a lot of direct personal instruction from Okinawan instructors, it has never came up or been included in discussion. In fact, Higaonna Morio Sensei tells students that when moving in Shiko Dachi if they cannot move forward while maintaining the stance via the use of their hips, then they should feel free to move in the foot to foot method of moving forward. Higaonna Sensei also teaches and accepts students who are larger to utilize a wider base. Sanchin kata used to be practiced from one end of the yard to the other, then back again, with no predetermined number of steps, no beginning, and no end.


My personal instructors have discussed and or taught in length the importance of distance, speed, power, relaxation, fluidity, explosiveness, breathing, rooting, application, pressure points, health, centering, focus, rhythm, circularity, angles, conditioning, squeezing, pressing, and many other detailed and important aspects of
Goju Ryu. Yet, not one discussion or lesson pertaining to beginning and ending the kata at the same point. I therefore have to assume that they do not consider it an important lesson, at least in regards to what they teach.


Almost all Chinese based martial arts have kata that end no where near where they began. I don't think this makes them incorrect. I have studied some Taira Shiken Kobudo, Matayoshi Kobudo, Yamani Ryu Kobudo, and Ufuchiki Kobudo, and can personally attest that not all kobudo kata end in the same place nor is doing so emphasized.


However, as stated when I began this post, if you are taught that it is important and it benefits you, then you should do it. Personally, I think its importance is over stated, at least in regards to Naha-te based systems as I have not had even one instructor discuss it.


Steve Wilson
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a very large video library which includes a very old tape of Zempo Sensei performing Chinto.  In this tape, Zempo Sensei does the kata going in 45 degree directions. Anyway, he personally ends this kata way back against the curtain that is hanging on the wall, which is several feet back from where he began the kata. I'm not arguing, especially since I am unqualified pertaining to Shuri based kata, however it seems very clear on this tape that the head of the system himself (Seibukan) does not begin and end on the same spot, at least pertaining to his performance of this kata. Sensei Walter Daly is also on this tape. It is obvious on this tape that Zempo Sensei was
intentionally being filmed. His basics are impressive and powerful. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this tape and I'm glad it is a part of my library. I mean no disrespect and actually I am very glad and impressed that a son who inherited a system from his father is actually a skilled and powerful practitioner, Seibukan is fortunate. However, even as the style head, he didn't begin and end on the same spot even though he knew he was being filmed...  


Respectfully   
Steve Wilson
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In response to Steve's comments:


1. As I mentioned in an earlier e-mail that I also have had the privilege of training with many of the top Goju Ryu teachers on Okinawa over the last 38 years and during the time none of told me that the kata should begin and end at the same place. Just because they did not tell me this it did not preclude the positioning of the kata beginning and ending at the same place. Perhaps the reason the teachers that Steve has trained with do not think it is important. In many discussions with various Okinawan teachers of various ryu ha the discussion of ending and beginning at the same spot is an accepted concept. One that is understood and therefor not discussed at length.


2nd comment. It does not matter what size or shape the practitoner is. The concept of stance in a kata always being formed in the same manner is very important. While making a perfect stance in each direction is difficult the purpose of kata is to strive for perfection. If you never achieve perfection it does not mean that perfection is not a reality it just means you have to keep trying.


3rd Comment - Hanshi Zenpo Shimaburo's performance of Chinto kata. I also have a copy of that tape and understand that the venue was somewhat less than desirable. If you will get a copy of the Kyan's Karate with all the Shorin Ryu Kata of Seibukan you will notice that they all begin and end at the same approximate location.


Chinto is by far the most difficult to begin and end at the same place because all movements follow the 45 degree embusen. If you miss step in the least you will find yourself well off the mark.


While I first learned of beginning and ending at the same spot in the Shotokan  training before going to Okinawa it was in learning Chinto that I learned about starting and finishing at the same spot. In fact Zenpo sensei would place me in the center of the dojo on Okinawa so I could face the corners of the dojo as my reference for moving 45 degrees and to finish in  the same spot.


I know that if you asked Zenpo sensei to day what he thought of finishing on starting spot he would say the same as I would say. It is good but do not sacrifice your movement to make yourself finish at the spot. You should over time finish there without thinking.


Perhaps you were finishing your performance of the Goju Ryu kata close enough to the spot that the teachers did not have a need to mention it to you. I have found that most Okinawan teachers only teach what needs to be taught.


4th Comment on Kobudo kata. I cannot speak for Yamani Ryu Kobudo but Taira and Matayoshi kata in my experience (over 25 years) they begin and end at the same spot.


My last comment would be that if it is not important to you then do not worry about it. I think that this is a tool just like many other tools we have in Okinawan karate and if you do not need it leave it in the tool box. Personally, it is a good reference for me to make sure I am continuing to keep my effort balanced in the kata.


Gambatte  
Dan Smith


No comments: