Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Kata Start and Ending - Part 5



First, let me start by saying to Steve that the use of "Mr." in this forum at one time was expected so that we demonstrated respect for those that we do not know well. If I did not know you well in the Japanese custom I would have referred to you as Wilson - san. No disrespect was intended but in fact respect.

Second, Steve I certainly do not take your desire to see my kobudo or Goju Ryu kata. You have spent many years perfecting your kata and I do not mind sharing with you my abilities either good or bad. There are many on this forum that have witnessed my abilities and I am sure if they were not trying to be kind could offer a strong critique as to how much I could improve. As far as my schedule is concerned;I do not travel much for karate. Colorado is the only place I go outside of the southeast.

Third, Steve, I understand that you are quite capable of going to Okinawa and doing your own research. Regrettably we will miss each other as I will be going to Okinawa March 17 and returning on the 27th. Perhaps we can share our findings.

I am not going to Okinawa specifically to research this kata ending and beginning question. I try to go to Okinawa at least once a year and sometime I am fortunate to go twice a year. My reason for volunteering to do the research was not to prove myself right or wrong but to gain more information. Perhaps I am completely wrong. If I am the I am better off for finding knowledge that will hopefully make me better.

Fourth, while I appreciate the nice comments about my writing, knowledge,etc.the purpose of my sharing over the last few years is not establish myself as an expert but to gain the interest in Okinawan karate and kobudo. While I am loyal and I am sure prejudiced to my own teacher I have tried to maintain a balance for supporting all Okinawan karate and koubo. IMHO the are less differences in the methods of the various ryu ha than one would think and I believe that if all Okinawan karate/kobudo adepts would work together we could have a substantial impact on the development of this great cultural asset of Okinawa.

And lastly I have a question of Steve. What in your opinion are the deeper meanings of the embusen of a kata?

Gambatte  
Dan Smith

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I appreciate and trust Bill's comments as he and I have spent some time together in the last two years. Bill has a wealth of knowledge concerning the Okinawan karate and kobudo.

My use of the term demise was not in the context of death but in the lessening of the influence and organizational activities of the Jinbukan. I understand that the Jinbukan lives on through Kawakami sensei and others but at the same time the level of training and activities have suffered over the last four years. Bill's loyalty and dedication to Kanae sensei is to be applauded. He was a direct student and probably one of the earliest Americans to train at the Jinbukan. Bill lived on Okinawa for over eight years and when I first met him two years ago my first question was where have you been and that he should be
sharing his knowledge openly.

After reading Bill's comment on the starting and ending positons I again went into the dojo and performed the Goju Ryu kata and Matayoshi kobudo kata and I came back to a close proximity to my starting point. Perhaps I am performing the kata wrong. If I am then the kata practice that Bill and I did in Vero Beach three weeks ago with Itokazu sensei was wrong. My Shushi no kun begins and ends at the same place.

I will be traveling through the area Bill lives in mid-January so I am looking forward to getting my kata checked.

Gambatte

Dan Smith

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------


 
Thank you for your last post. Unfortunately, the written word is not always interpreted in the manner the writer intended. Although I do not know you, I know of you. I appreciate your personal and professional efforts and dedication relating to the Rengokai, hosting Zenpo Sensei in America, and your latest committment of providing American students additional exposure to Itokazu Sensei of Matayoshi Kobudo. I also respect your personal sacrafices and expense of staying in close touch to Okinawa. All of the above I believe to be honorable efforts and sincere. I sincerely respect these efforts and personal sacrifices.

I had no issues or problems associated to our exchange about the beginning and ending spot of kata. My mood changed when I interpreted your statements as emphatic facts about an art that I personally do not believe you to be an expert or senior student in (referencing Goju Ryu). Statements that I personally disagree with, at least in part. Also, Chris is a Goju Budo brother of mine whom I respect and who I know dedicates his life to training very seriously, consistently, and hard. It appears to me that you either used a poor choice of words and tone or I read more into them than was there or than you intended.

I would never challenge or argue with you or any Shorin practitioner who has lived and walked the path of that art that they are speaking of. Nor would I ever profess or elude to being an expert in the Shuri based arts. On the other side of the coin though, if someone's words, opinions, and experience pertaining to the art I study, do not correlate to Goju Ryu (IMO) then it compels me to want to see their level first hand so I can determine how much weight to place on the opinions they share openly. If their level does not match their mouth then I reference them as practicing Kuchi waza (mouth technique). If their ability and technical expertise does match their mouth then I am fortunate and have found a new resource.

In response to your question about Embusen, I posted my opinion on this topic in this forum as follows:

Seichu in Japanese means 'exact middle'. 'Sen' means 'line'. Seichusen refers to the line or path in which the opponent must travel to reach you during his attack. It is also the line or path that you must utilize in order to attack your opponent. In addition, defending your Seichusen is imperative in order to conquer your opponent. If you properly defend your Seichusen then your opponent cannot succeed.

IMO, this is the relevance of embusen, not beginning and ending on the same spot. I feel that the deeper more meaningful principles of the embusen are overlooked and what is emphasized instead is where you start and end the kata and how close those two positions are to one another. The importance of embusen is the actual line or path of the kata itself, which is directly relevant to the line/path that the opponent will travel to attack you and that you must effectively use and defend in order to prevail (seichusen). To me, the embusen encompasses the angles, stepping, distance, etc. for any given form and is an instructional tool that exist to convey a lesson. A lesson relevant to self-defense and the mastery of karate.

I'd love to get together with you when you are in Denver next. Have a wonderful holiday.

Steve Wilson




No comments: