Friday, September 27, 2024

Reflection on the Passion of Victor

10-21-2001


Now 23 years in the past, my reflection on that Sunday afternoon is still interesting. I can see I really did not understand what was coming. Of course I do not know what the future holds either.


 



It’s been a normal Sunday, outside of my family responsibilities, there is a little time left over for me.



After yesterday’s karate class showing about 1/5 of Sherman’s clinic from the previous week, this mornings Tai Chi class began the same. As I had completed my own tai chi practice before they came to class, I was concentrating on my explosive movement in my Tai Chi this morning.



Some reflection time on my own studies.  Unfortunately I’ve studied probably several hundred kata and forms over the years.  Unfortunate as much as they have given me depth I cannot train on but a fraction of them and teaching youth and oldsters I have begun to realize probably 75% of my own studies will never be taught out.  Of course one of my friends has studied the Chinese systems in many times the depth of my own studies in karate (etc.) and he’s in the same boat. His primary system, Northern Eagle Claw, finds himself the only person of this generation to date who has remembered the entire system (the forms are so lengthy, complex and in such numbers) and I suspect it unlikely he can find anyone willing to work 20-30 years to learn it so the system (complete) may well stop with him. And he’s studied hundreds of other forms.



When I remark with him how much will be lost, he replies, you just have to consider the context it gives you for your own work. I suppose he’s right but I still wish it was possible to share all I’ve seen.. O’well.



In the lastest Battletech book “Call of Duty” there is a quote from Napoleon Bonepart, “Strategy is the use of time and space. I’m less concerned with the latter than the former.  Space we can recover, lost time never.”



And it really is lost time that possesses me.



As I watched the Patriots decimate the Colts today, I was translating a page from R. Habertzser’s French work ‘Bubishi’.  A personal effort to gain another view of the work, and at about 3 hours a page, a long time study I’m sure.



Then tonight while passionately listening to “Morimur” by JS Bach, with the Hilliard Ensemble, I totally lost track of time and space, It is such an intense work.  My music tastes are quite varied, Stones, Beatles and JS represent a few of them.  But the eerie part of the Bach recording (outside of its incredible beauty) was a quote from the accompanying book.



Ancient art as a specific inner content.  At one time, art possessed the same purpose that books do in our day, namely to preserve and transmit knowledge.  In olden days, people did not write books, they incorporated their knowledge into works of art.  We would find many ideas to the works of ancient art passed down to us, if only we knew how to read them.”  G. Gurdjieff



Simply add the word martial and what does that sound like. Whereas modern composer can do as they wish, do you really think changing Bach adds to its performance? Then go back to our discussion on change…hmmm.



Sure I’m loading the point with intelligent quotes… so sue me. But whether music or karate, it does give one pause to consider.



Now you need to learn how to run a Gojushiho variation in its original to understand part of what Shimabuku Tatsuo borrowed. Likewise you would do well to consider Patsai. But I’ve personally grown fond of the Matsumura No Passai as opposed to Kyan’s version. Whereas Kyan had the direct influence on Shimabuku Sensei, still I find a cleanness of attack in Matsumura’s version which is refreshing IMVHO.



Or if you want to compliment Chinto (not that it needs it) consider Seipai another incredible study in turning.   Then you can play with Goju’s Supreimpe (and Chinen Sensei personally considers it a basic form, suitable for beginners. Chinen Sensei having very interesting technique is in my opinion worth listening to.



Or take Chinto and try and find the entire Aikido vocabulary hidden within its structure. Nor stop there and find a  great piece of Baguazhang’s vocabulary there, too.



I don’t know I guess I’m possessed of late. I see our seniors leaving this plane of existence. My own instructors have now both retired and perhaps I feel the burden of being alone in my line. There is so much we don’t have an answer too, and so many answers which have been found, but we don’t have the time to find those with them and give them the years to learn them correctly.



And, nobody is better than the other. The beginners questions are as important as my own, more important because the answer they receive or don’t may well determine if they remain behind us.



So closes one Sunday, and I didn’t even begin writing the next chapter of my ongoing novel. Guess I’m getting old and slowing down..



Victor

                                                                                                                                  

No comments: