Friday, December 30, 2022

La raison plus fort est toujours la meilleux

 


Back in 1965 I was a summer student of the Foreign Language League school held at the Universitie de Reims. I was there to gain more knowledge of the French Language, alas that probably did not happen.

 

Our class was held in a large hall where classes were conducted in mass.

 

The one thing I remember was he had to memorize a French poem, “Le Loup and l’agneau by Jean de La Fontaine. Sadly as the decades passed the poem was lost in my memory, however I still recall the opening lines.

 

La raison du plus fort est toujours la meilleure 

Nous l’allons montrer tout à l’heure.

 

One translation might be:

 

The reason of those best able

to have their way is always the best:

 

Looking at the prime meaning is something like this.

 

In a debate or conflict, the winner is always the one who, by nature, is the strongest: whatever the merits of his opponent's arguments, he will get the better of him and will achieve his ends. This proverb implies a "natural" law with which justice has little to do.  Its use, most often full of irony, can reach cynicism. In modern societies, the meaning of "stronger" must now be understood as "more competent", "richer" or "more influential". We then move away from the notion of physical strength.”

 

My suggestion is does this thought drive you?

 

Is this really the way one should live their life?

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Le loup et l’agneau

Jean de La Fontaine

La raison du plus fort est toujours la meilleure :
Nous l’allons montrer tout à l’heure.

Un Agneau se désaltérait
Dans le courant d’une onde pure.
Un Loup survient à jeun qui cherchait aventure,
Et que la faim en ces lieux attirait.
Qui te rend si hardi de troubler mon breuvage ?
Dit cet animal plein de rage :
Tu seras châtié de ta témérité.
– Sire, répond l’Agneau, que votre Majesté
Ne se mette pas en colère ;
Mais plutôt qu’elle considère
Que je me vas désaltérant
Dans le courant,
Plus de vingt pas au-dessous d’Elle,
Et que par conséquent, en aucune façon,
Je ne puis troubler sa boisson.
– Tu la troubles, reprit cette bête cruelle,
Et je sais que de moi tu médis l’an passé.
– Comment l’aurais-je fait si je n’étais pas né ?
Reprit l’Agneau, je tette encor ma mère.
– Si ce n’est toi, c’est donc ton frère.
– Je n’en ai point.
– C’est donc quelqu’un des tiens :
Car vous ne m’épargnez guère,
Vous, vos bergers, et vos chiens.
On me l’a dit : il faut que je me venge.
Là-dessus, au fond des forêts
Le Loup l’emporte, et puis le mange,
Sans autre forme de procès.

Jean de La Fontaine

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The Wolf and the Lamb

 

The reason of those best able

to have their way is always the best:

We now show how this is true.

A lamb was quenching its thirst

In the water of a pure stream.

A fasting wolf came by, looking for something;

He was attracted by hunger to this place.

- What makes you so bold as to meddle with my drinking?

Said this animal, very angry.

You will be punished for your boldness.

- Sir, answered the lamb, let Your Majesty

Not put himself into a rage;

But rather, let him consider

That I am taking a drink of water

In the stream

More than twenty steps below him;

And that, consequently, in no way,

Am I troubling his supply.

- You do trouble it, answered the cruel beast.

And I know you said bad things of me last year.

- How could I do that when I wasn't born,

Answered the lamb; I am still at my mother's breast.

- If it wasn't you, then it was your brother.

- I haven't a brother. - It was then someone close to you;

For you have no sympathy for me,

You, your shepherds and your dogs.

I have been told of this: I have to make things even.

Saying this, into the woods

The wolf carries the lamb, and then eats him

Without any other why or wherefore.

 

https://lyricstranslate.com

No comments: