Thursday, April 13, 2023

A paradigm shift in how I executed and taught the low block.

 



 

About 20 years ago I experienced a paradigm shift in how I executed and taught the low block.

 

It came about because of how Sherman Harrill showed one application for the low block,  Now he had many possible uses for the low block, but this one rang a bell for me.

 

To begin the raising of the hand to initiate the low block, instead became a rising strike into an arm (whether striking toward you or grabbing toward you). So you started by striking up with precise power. Then you continued the downward blocking motion as is striking into the opponents ribs, or yes into a leg (the target for the low strike/block depended on target of opportunity..

 

What I discovered the more rapid we struck upward the greater the force we could use on the downward strike.  And having the student visualizing that upward strike helped them increase power.

 

From that day onward this is how I have taught the low block, and how I practiced it myself.

No comments: