Friday, April 7, 2023

Inhale or Exhale while striking

 



 

Audible exhalation during/upon strike or exertion in combat and or practice? Your thoughts?

Top of Form 1

\


Steven M. Franz I think the breathing, contraction and relaxation, are a bit more important than whatever noise comes out...but that is just me.

 

Steve Brown we make grunts or shouts etc naturally upon physical exertion, it helps focus your energy and strengthens or tightens your core for that extra ompph. So why wouldn't we use is in martial arts?

 

Jason Delaney I think one thing that many people forget to do in combat his breathe. When I train on the heavy bag I usually sing a song or tell a story because it forces me to breathe. Obviously I can't do that in a fight, but a grunt is actually a repressed breath that slips out if we can train ourselves to release that breath all at once creates quite a powerful result

 

John McNally You want someone to scream or grunt loudly when their trying to hit you. In my line of work It happens. Controlling the adrenaline is important. When people get excited they forget to breath and start swinging at everything. Once the adrenaline leaves their a sitting duck. A well trained Karateka shouldn't have any trouble regulating their breathing for practice, Sport or Combat. It's in every part of our training.

 

Victor Smith

There is striking on exhalation. There is striking on inhalation.

One school I know of at 3rd dan requires everyone to permanently switch to inhalation except when they are the instructor.

Some tai chi schools use inhalation too, but permanently, not back and forth.

 

I believe the Idea is that opponents may use the sound of your breathing pattern as a clue to when you strike, and the reversal is so they cannot anticipate you actions.    Old school thinking

 

No comments: