Wednesday, April 19, 2023

The lesson from my Lapidary hobby to Karate

 




Certainly now in my decline, my many disabilities I have been experiencing this past decade have left most of the abilities I worked on for over 30+ years absent from my current state. O I still practice as I can but very little of it resembles anything martial.

 

At the same time with so much time on my hands and I find myself turning to the variety of prior martial discussions that I participated on the internet to keep finding material from so long ago that almost no one really seems to talk about anymore. I was interested in almost anything meaning much in addition to my Isshinryu studies. So as I keep finding more and more I am selecting so much to add to my blog.

 

Now these days the only real activity I have is my participating in the Sun City West Lapidary Club.

 

Lapidary in an activity that takes rock and appropriately Slices it. Cuts it. Grinds it at various grades, Fine grinds the rock, Polishes the rock and applies Wax to the rock. The finished rock might be used for jewelry, to manufacture many things, or as I do just to sit on my dest.

 

At this time I have  4 years of effort and over 400 rock pieces I have worked on. From my beginning I was told you have no idea what is inside any rock until  you open it up and then work on it. Some rock has next to no value, others provide wonder. Only from your effort can you decide what is inside and only from your effort can you many anything of it.

 

Now that I think of it I did the same thing from my efforts in Isshinryu and all the martial studies and research I did.

 

You take a raw student, slowly develop their potential to allow them to develop their abilities to really advance in their art. What you can develop has so little to do with you, but to share some of what you can do, then see if they make the effort to move forward on their own.

 

All I can do with my blog is point the way and perhaps others to polish what I see in their own brilliance.

Many of my personal interests in the older traditions that grew into karate with so many different branches are me but working on the same path myself.

 



No comments: