Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Surprise

 

 

Realization of application potential is not often a straight forward process. It happens often when you least expect it.

 

I made it a practice of dropping into a large nearby dojo once a year and sharing with the students there. Not the Isshinryu I was teaching, but as I had studied a wide number of disciplines technique studies I found interesting an thought they might find them interesting too.

 

Not Isshinryu, for one reason it was to intensely personal a study for me. And the manner in which I instructed did not lend itself to instant instruction.

 

I wasn’t playing games and I was interested in maintain friendly relations with other schools.

 

But it also gave me a chance to work with others who did not know me and prove to myself that those techniques worked to.

 

So this time I started showing a rather basic tjimande method to put an attacker down on the ground. The class had about 30 dan’s in it, and I selected the largest to first work with.

 

I showed what I was going to do in detail, nothing hidden. Then I took my partner and told him to step in and strike strongly. As he did so I light parried his attack at the wrist, and at the same time lay my other arm across his biceps. This was as I was stepping forward.

Then my other leg stepped behind, I grasped his deflected wrist and the other arm lightly pressed down. The attacker spiraled down ending up on the floor on his back.

 

Of course I had been taught by Tristan Sutrisno that his father did the same thing. Take the largest person attending and do them first, everyone else sees them go down and their minds move onto acceptance the technique works, even on them.

 

After putting their biggest student on the ground, I then asked who else would like to experience this.

 

All them formed a line, all 29 of them. One after another they attacked, and one after another I put them on the floor, spiraling all of them down.

 

Which was pretty neat in itself having the floor filled with downed black belts.

 

After some recovery time for myself, and practice for them, I decided to show another technique.

 

I had a student stand in front of me, then step in and strike toward me.

 

Then it came to me. I just step a bit to the left, and separated both hands just like in SunNuSu or Patsai. The left knife hand lightly parrying the strike on the forearm as the right knife hand makes a reciprocal motion the other direction..

 

Then I turned to the left The right palm deflection lightly pressing down and drawing the opponents center of gravity toward that touch, leading their mind and their balance to that point.  As you turn the right knife hand lightly slices into their neck as you turn.

 

And at that time your left hand drops to your left chamber, the right open hand slices across their neck and then strikes down to the left, the same motion as in the kata. That motion combines to make the attacker move down.

 

The deflection move of their center to the point where they were touched, unbalanced them to make the light slicing motion across their neck and then press downward work together to become a takedown (throw),

 

You can further enhance this by taking your left foot and 1) stepping on their left foot or, 2) stepping behind their lead foot. Either use will make another force enhancer to the throw. Use of don’t use.

 

The relevance of this technique was not realized by those at that sharing, It was just another technique to them. I did not explain where the movement being used came from.

Another thing I had learned from Tristan Sutrisnos father’s lessons.


As presented the students likely would not retain it, not that what was happening was not fully explained, just it was unlikely to be part of their instructors curriculum. Thus falling under what he referred to as the technique of no technique.

 

Technique of No Technique

 


 

No comments: