Saturday, September 23, 2023

The question of 2 or 3 sai in Kusanku Sai

  



Question: When I learnt Kusanku Sai I was taught the form using 2 sai (when the thrown sai was performed you didn’t really throw the sai, rather retained it and then continued the form).

 

Years later I saw it performed at a tournament where the competitor placed a foam block on the floor and then did the form with 3 sai (the third sai tucked in his obi at his belt). Then when he came to the throw he actually threw the sai into the foam block, then reaching behind his back extracted the 3rd sai and continued the form.

 

While I observed that form I did not attempt to practice it that way. Of course after 30 years I was content with what I did). But it was interesting to see.

 

I realize most did not practice it this way as many did not have 3 sai, or a foam block for throwing it into. Most dojo would discourage throwing a sai into the floor.  When working out in my yard I did throw my sai into the ground to learn how that worked out.

 

I remember once mentioning this to Sherman Harrill and the way he explained that change made sense, so this is how I remember that discussion going.

 

“Originally the kata was practiced with that throw into the abdomen of an opponent (or rather toward where their abdomen would be), then the dojo became more crowded and the sai could not be thrown safely that way. Then the Kusanku Sai throw was changed to the floor.”

 

I can understand that, the stories that the sai throw was into the foot of the attacker to pin them to the ground I always considered a very strange use for the sai, even if you were carrying 3 sai. A throw is a high risk move which would not always work, and who wants to throw their weapon away. But throwing a sai into the body of an attacker is a sensible move.

 

So my question is how many practice Kusanku Sai with 3 sai?

 




Lannon Taylor I was taught the 3 Sai version by master Kichiro Shimabuku in 1973. His father did the 3 Sai version. We were taught to throw towards the foot

 

Bill Pogue i learned with three sai. we never throw it. one guy did and bounced up and broke ones of sensei mirrors, so... later only imitated the throw. i never did buy the 'pinning his foot to the ground' also, sais aren't sharp, so throwing one is a waste of time. not everything in our style is practical- and that goes against the core principles of IR

 

David Rogers I train the kata with no sai at all half the time. There’s great empty hand stuff in there

 

Charles Murray - Usually not me. But sometimes I do.

 

Thomas Hodges In Ryu Kyu Kobudo we practice a three sai kata called Kogusku no sai sane kata is also called Kojo no sai. The sai is thrown after a series of techniques that would indicate the oponent would likely be laying on the ground at that point. Indicating the thrown sai is a finishing move into a person/body already on the ground.


I am not a practioner of Isshinryu kobudo, is it possible the sai thrown in Kusanku no sai could be thrown into a downed opponent?

 

Not all sai are not sharpened. I have two set of sharp sai and two set are not. At the same time sai are also available that are tempered. Many sai are easily bent or can break when practicing on weapons makiwara or in throwing practice.

 

Shawn Taylor Also to note, Tatsuo trained with Taira Shinken, and the ryu kyu kobudo version you practice was probably shown to him, and he adapted kushanku sai to use some of these techniques that he learned from Taira Shinken.

 

Shawn Taylor Also, in the Ryukyu Kobudo version, you have potentially stabbed your opponent with both of your sai's before you throw one towards their base.

 

Thomas Hodges Shawn Taylor in Kogusku the sai throw is done about the middle of the kata. To me that implies one opponent down and done and another to deal with.


Another weapon and kata Tinbe and Rochin. The Rochin is thrown almost in exactly the same way but it is the finishing move in Kanegawa no Tinbe. To me also implies the opponent is down.


But Tamayose Sensei does practice throwing the sai quite extensively. One would think for accuracy. So pinning of the foot could be a thought to Okinawans also.

 

Shawn Taylor Thomas Hodges it is conceivable that both are accurate accounts to what is happening, and for training and teaching/testing purposes, it is done to the floor. In testing for the said kata, you are required to neither throw it into a chunk of wood, or mimic the throw, then set it down and turn while grabbing the 3rd sai.


 

Jithu Nair We do practice kushanku sai with 3 sai sometimes. (Use to throw the right hand sai on mud or sometimes on wood boards) but mostly we practice with 2 sai.

 

Gene Powell When Master Tatsuo Shimabukuro came to America in his visit to Pittsburgh Pa. he went into a new gym with a beautiful new gym floor and did his Sai Kata sticking one into the nice new gym floor. A sight to be seen for all that were there.

 

Chris Thomas The sai is thrown down for convenience. In application it is thrown at the opponent’s chest

 

Top of Form 1

 

Victor Donald Smith   As I have never had the need to throw sai at anyone, the point is most moot to me. Sai is extremely critical in Isshinryu training, as a supplementary power building exercise, an important karate force enhancer.. Which makes where the sai is thrown less important to me. Of course others probably have different opinions.

 

Thorne Williams 1968. Third sai was implied. Foot throw was implied. With Ed Johnson. Fort Worth.

 

Cher Worth We never practiced with 3, but vaguely remember being told at one point you lose a sai to a midsection stab. But we just continued on with the same sai... more of a “thing to know” you might get questioned about during testing, than how you practiced the kata. Not sure if I ever learned a throw. I have seen it done in tournaments with a 3rd sai tucked into the belt.

 

Mark Szalajko I study RyuKonKai kobudo under Iha Kotara Sensei. In it we have a kata called nicho sai.


There is a throw in this kata as well. I take my students out onto the lawn to practice the throw every now and again.


But when performing the kata in the dojo of course we never actually throw the sai.


This is just a good way give students the actual feel of throwing. It takes a little bit of practice for most to be able to penetrate hard ground and have the sai saki stick into the ground.

Jayson Daniels I’ve seen it done both ways - the throw usually only happening when it is performed outdoors and the sai can be thrown into the ground.

 

Mark Radunz Harrill Sensei told me the throw was center mass of the opponent and it wasn't intended to stick into the person. Nothing like taking a nice piece of steel to the body to wake you up. He said the stab them in the foot scenario was BS. They started throwing the sai at the ground as they got tired of chasing them down the beach.

 

Victor Smith  In 1990 I attended a clinic with Sherman at Chester Houlbecki’s in Western Mass. There I questioned Sherman about this. He explained that he was originally shown Kusanku Sai using 3 sai.  The throw was originally into the abdomen  of the opponent then the 3rd sai was extracted in the kata. But the throw was changed as the dojo had too many Marines in it to safely throw into the abdomen. That was when the sai throw was changed to be thrown into the ground. It was not intended to be thrown into the opponent’s  foot, in actuality the sai would be thrown into the center mass of the opponent.

 

Craig Ross Originally learned with two then the third was added as I got more proficient. Have you ever heard the story of TS throwing the sai into a brand new floor of a Sensei who is pressuring him to perform the kata For his students?

 

Gary Hudgins At one time I practiced the kata in the back yard. The sai was thrown into a pine tree. I could stick it in the tree every now and then. If I practiced more I thing I could stick in the tree a greater percent of the time. I never believed it was to pin a foot to the floor. Try just going out without doing the kata and throw it in to a target. If you do it right you have impaled your attacker.

 

Tim Cunningham My sensei once demonstrated the sai throw into a 2x4 about two feet long that he had me fetch from the storage room. I was doubly impressed: 1) because he buried the tip deep in the board and 2) because the board was only a few feet away from the mirrored wall.


He never stated that it was meant for throwing to the foot but I had always assumed it was because of the nature of the floor being the target. Later as I began to practice more and more I began to think throwing toward the lower torso or upper thigh area was a more viable target. Thank you for confirming the target area.

 

David Rayburn I have done it with 3 when practicing outside. I have been told that the throw of the right hand one wasn't meant for the foot, but to be safe and not to lose it, I throw it into the ground.. I use and teach 2 inside the dojo. The floor is concrete and throwing the Sai makes the students nervous.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victor Smith – I believe this has been one of the most fascinating discussions in a long while. I would never have thrown sai into a tree trunk, of course it might bounce off but more importantly I never wanted to damage trees.

 

However the discussion brought another memory to mind. When Charles was stationed on Okinawa 71,72 and a new shodan, the school was not for the Marines as they had their own dojo on their base then. Instead most of the participants were Okinawans who  dropped in after work to train. It was not a beginner dojo then.

 

Charles trained there as much as possible when on the main island. At times all day, but when stationed on another island, when he could fly in once a month for a weekend of training. He studied Chantan Yara No Sai there and often remarked how everyone in the dojo would help him understand the form.

 

Among his other travels there, at one time he visited a Goju dojo, before class he observed the Okinawan students throwing sai to stick them in a tree. So that practice was not Isshinryu’s alone.

 

As for puncturing the abdomen, while possible it was not probably the goal, I would imagine being struck by a sharp piece of thrown metal would give a desired effect in an attacker, whether it penetrated or not.

 


 


 


No comments: