Saturday, September 30, 2023

Changes I have experienced in my study of Isshinryu

 

 


We have seen incredible changes in the world since I began to study Isshinryu.

 

The was I was trained was on the floor. Sensei Lewis did not spend much time talking about history. Certainly we were interested, but there was little additional information. Some books, and certainly the karate magazines. Of course those authors also had agenda’s. Those were not discussed in class, and did not become part of the Isshinryu practice.

 

The only secret, was sweat equity. Pain was something you learned to deal with. Whatever the seniors knew and thought about what else was in the world, was not our concern.

 

Then for years things stayed the same way. Not being around others in Isshinryu, I built my practice and teaching on what I had been shown.

 

Before Video tapes, there was little else to consider. And when you think about it, it was very much the same on Okinawa. You knew what your instructor shared. Perhaps friends training, and then in time you may have met others, who shaped your thoughts on your practice.

 

When it comes down to it, it appears Shimabuku Tatsuo created a new paradigm teaching non-Okinawans his karate, and a very short training time by Okinawan standards. None of whom had the time to be considered instructors, and no one expected to spend a lifetime studying the art they had learned. Well the new paradigm took hold. But the individuals all had somewhat different experiences, and they for the most part, followed what they remembered.

 

There was no serious controlling mechanism to control the spread of Isshinryu. It seems to resemble more of a loose framework, but I certainly wasn’t there. Almost without any link back to Okinawa, except for the mail. No travel, No books or records available, Nothing like today’s resources. Perhaps individuals at times made claims, at that time there was no one to refute their statements. The one thing we can say is that Isshinryu happened, many different ways.

 

Then video tapes slowly became available. When the first Angi tapes were out, I discovered what other views about Isshinryu existed. For myself, none of them resembled exactly the way I had been trained, and though I watched them, what I followed was how I was trained.

 

The magazines were a way information could spread, but they were also controlled by interests pushing an agenda.

 

When I had accumulated time training with many I slowly began to see what I could do with my Isshinryu. But the progression of learning was spotty.

 

Meeting Sherman Harrill was a quantum leap forward to understanding my Isshinryu. But the most important thing was it inspired my own studies. At almost our first meeting he spent around 2 of 3 hours on the first movement of Chinto kata. I really learned a great deal, of course not everything he knew, but I was hardly ready for more.

 

And as time progressed, I would review my notes, practice those applications that made most sense to my training (everything did not fit the paradigm I followed, and that is OK).

 

Then one day about 2 years later I came to realize an aikido drill I had been teaching for 15 years, was also an explanation for Chinto’s opening. This was a basic study in what I had been shown.

 

So I had been practicing an answer, for a long time, not realizing it was Chinto.

 

Aikido 7  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dc2iT__Gok 


So was this a secret, or just an unrealized application study?

 

Does it matter, it works for me, and my gradual understanding does not make it less.

 

Today, there are movies, videotapes, dvd’s, youtube and other mechanisms. We have instant access and communication with the entire world at our fingertips. Much in the past, which had to be accepted blindly, can now be discussed, and examined. Including being shared.

 

Many of the past issues really are not worth the time pursuing. Take Okinawa, while acknowledging foreign sources for karate, they are not really going to pursue them for any great focus either. They hardly want people to go elsewhere and really study those arts.

 

The past is past, what we do with what we have now and for our students really builds the future of the art.

 

Michael Demeter Here is the problem as I see it. A few things and in no particular order. 1. Too many people came back and lied about rank. Now you have a bunch of long time trained green belts. 2. Improper use of terminology. Some of the terminology that people use literally means nothing. 3. American Rank. I'll just leave that one right where it is. Isshinryu is made up of one mans interpretation of what he was taught and he owned it and called it Isshinryu. Many, many people have studied all that makes up Isshinryu to help understand what its origins come from. Many more have not. Do what you want but own it and don't call it what it isn't. That's just my opinion I could be wrong.

Ken Marsh So true! To many "self promoters".

Michael Demeter It should be about preserving history, not re writing it. Not buying or (donating) to achieve rank. "I know it's not right but it's what my organization or teacher does, so I have to respect that." What?

John Kerker All you can do is teach your people in your Dojo to the best of your ability and be honorable and not live someone else's mistake

 

 

Victor The thing is I never studied Isshinryu to worry about others rank.

I respect all rank, just for myself don’t worry about it much. And in the end we all will move on.

 

In the dojo, rank is not an issue, everyone knows where everyone is in training. One either does or does not.

 

What rank I have is Tom Lewis’ business. I have the responsibility to try and live up to it.

 

I once wrote “If someone remembers you 25 years after you died, then you were a master. And if someone remembers you 50 years after you died, then you were a grand-master.” It really is not an honor I am rushing to achieve, as I would not be here in any case, even if it is deserved.

 

The whole Rank thing came from the export of karate into the Japanese culture. The Okinawans do not seem to have worried about it. Life might be simpler if we tried to follow what the Okinawans’ did.

 

But Rank is here. Let’s be more progressive in our studies than worry about others.

 

JudyAnne Bonafede It is my understanding that bunkai means to "dissect" a movement.. to understand it's many possibilities. Opening your eyes to see the abstract of movement from many perspectives can truly preserve the art.
I was once told a story: My wife used to always cut the end of the ham off before cooking. When asked she said, "This is the way my Mother taught me to do it!" So he asked his Mother-in-law. Why do you cut the end of the ham off before cooking? She said, "This is how my Mother showed me to cook it" So he finally asked the Grandmother. Her reply was... "I cut the end of the ham because it was too big for my pan!"

Michael Demeter Funny, it always goes back to not worrying about rank. I'm not. That wasn't the point. Have a fantastic weekend! I'm going to the dojo.


No comments: