Monday, September 11, 2023

Out of the Dust a personal hero arises

 

 



 

I believe I first met Richard Ruberto on my Pleasant Isshinryu discussion group. He is a passionate Isshinryu karate-ka. At that time he was associated with AJ Advincula. In time he associated with Sherman Harrill. Both  he and I were passionate supporters of our own Isshinryu traditions.

 

At that time he as a Police Officer in NYC.

 

Then one morning it was September 11, 2011. I was between employment and was on my PC looking for a new position. I was also listening to Don Imus on the radio. I remember Imus telling us a plane struck the World Trade Tower in NYC. I looked it up on a computer news site, continuing to listen to Imus describing what he was seeing. Of course it was most terrible.

 

Then as the morning continued I heard more and more. It even was being discussed on Pleasant Isshinryu.

 

Then most of the day I followed reports on Pleasant Isshinryu.

 

I was a most horrifying day to remember.

 

One of those reporting was Richard Ruberto who was stationed across the river in NYC on his job. He described those horrifying events as he viewed them.

 

Of course to me what made him a hero is what came next. He joined the search of the World Trade Center wreckage, for months. Seeking whatever he could to help in the disaster.

 

About a year later he attended a clinic with Sherman Harrill that Garry Gerossie and I hosted in Derry, NH. Then had dinner with Sherman, Garry and I at a local restaurant. Years later we met again when he attended a clinic with John Kerker, held in Western Mass. It was extremely pleasant to see him again.

 

Of course our lives followed different paths, but I always remember when the dust rose in disaster another hero strode forth.

No comments: