Friday, May 3, 2024

A discussion with John Kerker – July 2007




In the Dojo Mr Harrill would always say that the hands were the infantry and the Legs were the artillery. If you remember how he used the first two steps in Naihanchi Kata to attack the inside and outside of the ankles you know what I mean.
 
Speaking from experience if you thought the hand techniques he employed were brutal the kicks were downright nasty. He used every stance and every stepping method in our Kata, whether forward, angled or stepping back to execute leg striking or unbalance of the attacker. This is something we work in the Dojo on a regular basis
 
John


But SunNuSu offers a unique opportunity to draw upon other source of  karate history for Isshinryu and continues the theme of elbow work  begun in Wansu and other new themes.

At what point do you feel deep practice, study and use of SunNuSu  should become our central focus?

questioning, Victor


Victor,
 
    My people usually get Sunsu right around mid brown belt. That being said they will have felt and seen individual techniques within the Kata since mid green belt. When I teach bunkai for the first movement in Seisan Kata, I will also show them the first punches in Sunsu and Sei Shin no Tamadashi (Mr Harrills Dojo Kata).
 
I believe in teaching beginners  (White Belt through Brown Belt) that the individual Kata techniques are but variations of our basics,  and Kumite techniques. By the time they get to Sunsu their basics should be very strong and they should be able to use the individual Kata techniques to defend themselves. So the training will be more intense from the onset of Sunsu simply because they are able to take it.
 
John



Lesson time. When Charles Murray trained in Okinawa (1970-71) he always told me how Shinso's nukike strikes could likely kill you. He was so impressed at them.



Victor,

 
The first time Mr Harrill struck me with his fingertips I had the same reaction, It was beyond my understanding at the time how that type of technique could be so strong. As was typical Sensei his explanation was that the combined efforts of his training had shaped that weapon to what it had become. He told me, " you may not be able to do that now, But if you practice what I show you in five or six years you'll be able to begin to use it that way."

 


This was reinforced when Tokumura Kensho visited our Dojo a couple years ago. His Nukite strikes are incredibly powerful. I asked him, " Tokumura San, how do you make so strong?" He showed me several excercises on the Makiwara, and suggested filling two five gallon buckets, one with corn, and one with rice to practice on.
 

I followed his advice and both myself and my students have had good results
 
John


No comments: