Friday, May 26, 2023

An example of often how Isshinryu discussion goes.

 




Romney Taylor  again what stance is being used in Chinto ? you be the judge : )


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw0T6jekfMs

 


 Grandmaster Tatsuo Shimabuku demonstrates Chinto Kata.


 

Joe Lembke He is so incredible to watch, transitioning stances throughout the Kata. Sensei Romney what are you asking. About?

 

Andy Sloane Tatsuo Sensei never did a strict heel-to-toe/shoulder-width apart seisan stance, but that is what he taught. There is a difference between what Tatsuo did, what Tatsuo taught, and what Tatsuo allowed.

 

Raymond Dickey His stances in the videos often look 'wrong' compared to what I've always been taught, but as another master told me, 'Do what I say, even if you see me doing something different.'

 

Andy Sloane Raymond Dickey That's one of the problems we have in Isshin-ryu: some people are more willing to be loyal to what their teachers taught and not to what Tatsuo taught.   ** of course to me there is no higher standard than what my instructors showed me.

 

Bob Cherone AKA - Point of reference

 

Mark Radunz Heel/toe/shoulder width was the beginner standard.

 

I was told of how Marines questioned him when they noticed the difference between what he taught and what he did. They showed him their Seisan, TS, said "Hai,  Seisan." Then they showed him what he did and he again replied, "Seisan." When he realized the confusion he did the beginner version, and said "Seisan." Then he did what they had seen him do and as he patted his chest said, "MY Seisan."

 

We were taught by Harrill Sensei the beginner version and then he introduced tests to determine an individual's Seisan. Some people actually did best with the beginner version.

 

Mine has my rear foot about one fist length behind the heel with the width being shoulder width.

 

Mike Baker Romney Taylor Thanks for your response. I thought he was using kiba dachi stances in the opening sequence for example during the punch, but I may be mistaken. Because I have been training on my own outdoors for some years, stances are not my strong point and I am trying to upgrade that.

 

Romney Taylor There are kiba dachi / shiko-dachi in some places , as well as seisan, however the way I was taught Zenkutsudachi is the primary stance , this might seem like a small distinction , but it changes the method of stepping and transitioning , and IMO, makes a big difference.

No comments: