Wednesday, May 10, 2023

Discovering Chinto Kata could be a speed pump.

  If you check out the attached url’s from my blog you will find out how I was taught Chinto Kata.

 

https://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/search?q=Salisbury

https://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-wheel-turns-on-chinto-memories.html

 


Auguse of 1975 I  first learn the beginning of Chinto from Lewis Sensei the last night I was a member of the Salisbury dojo. I also received my  greenbelt that night. Then a year of practice where I lived at Scranton. That next summer I took my vacation down as Salisbury and between visits to the Salisbury dojo, the Princess Ann dojo , the Dover dojo and back to the Salisbury dojo, somehow I learnt the remainder of the form. Returning to Scranton I continued my solitary practice of Chinto.

 

A year later Charles Murray moved near Scranton and I began training with him. He told me to keep my kata Seisan through Chinto as I had learned in Salisbury, He told my remaining kata studies would be his variations of the other kata.

 

In 1979 I began training youth through the Scranton Boys Club and for the next 6 years I taught Chinto as I had been taught. Then in 1985 moving to Derry I began a new program there, one for kids and one for adults at the Derry Boys and Girls Club.   When appropriate I taught them my Chinto.

 

By 1988 my two senior adult students were running Chinto with me. As they solidly had the kata I would run it with them, unfortunately not watching them because I knew they knew the kata.

 

But one evening I watched them, instead of performing the kata with them.

 

What I saw was Chinto being performed at super speed. They were not incorrect but I knew they were going too fast.. I remarked to them they were doing Chinto too fast and I went to show them how it shoud be done by doing it by myself.

 

Of course I went and did it faster they did it.

 

Now I had no one looking at my kata since 1979, and this was a wake up.

 

So I put on my thinking cap and went through what was happening in my mind.

 

What I realized was that Chinto was functioning like a speed pump, causing you to go faster and faster. Then say at a tournament with your adrenalin flowing you would go even faster.

 

Realizing this I began to work with them to practice more slowly, so if they  competed their adrenalin making them go faster would still be slower than before.

 

The larger lesson was I realized I needed to observe, even what my senior students were doing and continually assist them to make adjustments.  A lesson I kept re-learning for decades.

 

This is Mike Cassidy a 2nd dan performing Chinto in 1992

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAOFNKpjpHU

 


 

This is Young a 6th dan performing Chinto in 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moYM7heSsyw  

 

In this photo from the Salisbury Dojo

are the instructors who shared Chinto with me.

 

 



                    Dennis Lockwood              Carl Hovey        Al  Bailey

                     Wayne Webster  Tom Lewis                                Reese Rigby 

        Primary Chinto Instructors

No comments: