Sunday, May 28, 2023

"Naifanch (the body) and the SanChin are the same"

 

 

When I read this in my recent translation from the Motobu Ryu blog, old memories came flooding back.

 

We uploaded an article of "About an article of Monthly Magazine Hiden".
https://ameblo.jp/motoburyu/entry-12344423527.html

 

Monthly Secret Articles

 

When the feature article of Nai Hanch and the San Chin is organized in the latest issue [monthly secret], I learned in the blog of the Tang-san, I also bought and read.




Monthly Secret edition Feb. 2018


In that article they said.


Well, Ken Soke said that "Naifanch (the body) and the SanChin are the same", and it was taught that it was important "tighten Up" (page 33). In a word, it was said that it was Nai Hanch of had to have knees both so to speak at the same time as "Naha hand making of the Shuri hand" and "the Shuri Hand of Naha hand" were done by incorporating Nai Hanch.

 

That is what triggered this memory. I am not implying I fully understand what they are saying. But for things like this  I use these translations.

 

When I was training with Charles Murray he would often reminisce about his time on Okinawa in 1972.

 

One of the memories I remember best was him talking about the Okinawans practicing Naifanchi kata there.

 

He remarked how powerful their Naifanchi dachi was.

 

How their lower body used great tension in their stance, and at the same time there was almost no tension in their upper body. Allowing freedom of movement within the kata.

 

The total stance was both hard and soft to him.

 

That was very different from what he saw in the states.

 

That stuck with me, and perhaps guided me a bit.

No comments: