Monday, May 15, 2023

Response to Patrick McCarthy back in 2000

 

 

 

Patrick,

 

Interesting how I just concluded writing and sending a defense against a challenge to your translation of the Bubishi that had been made to me and I then get your questions.

 

I’m not digging back to that discussion but I know I did not intend to imply you plagiarized you theories, which I have only read about from time to time.

 

Unfortunately I can now see the brevity of my reply could be taken that way.  At the time I’m sure I was just responding to an ongoing discussion.

 

Shimabuku Sensei’s Kumite (as taught to Sherman Harill and other US Marines in the late 50’s early 60’s was a series of about 40  or so responses to groupings of attacks.

 

They are only taught in some Isshinryu circles and as the techniques were grouped by type of attack is where I think they’re similar to what I understand your Habitual Acts of Violence represents, where you address a much greater detailed number of attacks.

 

They are rarely discussed outside of the groups which practice them and are not formally documented, so I wouldn’t see how you would have reference to them. My original instructor only practiced a few because towards the end of his tour on Okinawa his unit did a TDY to Japan for 3 months. Normally these techniques were taught at the end of a tour on Okinawa and many of the Marines weren’t there long enough to get the entire set.

 

The notes I have from Sherman are in a short hand description, hard to follow.  I have a private video of Sherman teaching them at a clinic but I’ve not transcribed them into my own descriptions yet. If the time comes when I have the time I will send you a copy for your reference. Shimabuku’s responses to the attacks came from kata technique and are very simple, consistent with the vision that was transmitted of Isshinryu.

 

They formed the inspiration of Sherman’s lifetime analysis of Isshinryu kata.

 

My rough notes on the Shimabuku Kumite

 

          Counters to Wrist Grabs – 5

          Defense against Strikes – 5

          Striking the attackers arm to create opening to counters – 3

          Countering Kicks – 5

          Using the attackers arm to counter other techniques – 4

          Clothing grab defenses – 3

          Defenses against a full nelson – 4

          Defense against a bear hug and head lock – 5

          Defense against the Devil’s handshake – 2

          Choke defense from a mount position – 3

          Knife Defenses - 5

 

 

My comment referring to Mutsu’s book were on the observation that he grouped his responses against groups of attacks.  I of course can’t read the Japanese and though I’ve seen some of Joe’s translation on the kata, I haven’t seen anything on the karate applications.

 

Joe did describe them as “The other applications presented within are broken down into the following categories: defenses against various types of lapel grabs, defenses against two hand attacks, defenses from a seated position and defenses against edged weapons.”

 

They’re more detailed than the Shimabuku answers but IMO do represent defenses as applied to groups of attacks.

 

When I began my own research I followed a similar approach (not knowing of any outside resources) as the Isshinryu I had studied to that point had nothing similar.

 

My making a connection to your theory is what I’ve understood is your theory groups attacks too and I guess responses to them.

 

If I have in my slight knowledge of what you teach misrepresented your teachings I’m sorry.  I never write to attack anyone, but to discuss, and more frequently work on my own thoughts.

 

Many times internet discussion groups lend oneself to quick responses that can be read different ways.

 

I haven’t had the chance to really study with you and my understanding is only what I’ve seen in pieces, which is why I stated I’m not sure I‘ve seen your take on kata.

 

My own analysis that I’ve been working towards these past few years is on the universality of any response to learn how to fit it into any attack to conclude the issue.

 

I’m far from successful, but it is the direction I follow, which is why I would state I’m not into your theory. I only teach a very small group almost one to one and our efforts to apply a technique work towards moving past the attack being used.

 

None of which was fully expressed in the answer you questioned. I’m sure no one asked anything further because if they had my response would have been based on this information.

 

If you have further questions I will be glad to explain as best I can.

 

 

It bothers me greatly that I’ve studied so much and can only share a small piece of it due to the needs of everyone’s own lives.

 

Well I always wanted to live a pre 1900 small group existence, and doing so tells me a great deal about what transmission represents.

 

victor

 

 

 

No comments: