Friday, December 22, 2023

A unique challenge for myself, when I studied the Eagle Claw form Hang (Hon) Kuen

 


Once upon a time I had the occasion to touch a system I am sure no other karateka ever attempted. Ernest Rothrock, who was then my instructor in Yang Tai Chi Chaun, agreed to share one Eagle Claw form with me. 


That form was Hang (Hon) Kuen known as the Walking Form, one of the 3 major forms of Northern Eagle Claw.  The form contained all of the Eagle Claw techniques. 


It was long and very challenging. My best time was about 6 minutes to complete the form. On the other hand, when Ernest did the form, he did it in 3 minutes. I was never filmed doing it, although one time Ernest did film the form for me, done as a beginner version, so I could follow the form execution. That remains private for me.


When I moved to New Hampshire in 1985, it was one of my studies I had to set aside. Because of work, I no longer had the time to seriously work on the form. But Ernest made it clear to me I would always remember that I did learn it, and I would remember its lessons for life.


On the other hand, I did find a version of the form on YouTube,


I have written about those studies on my blog previously.  It is a close version of what I studied. My memories of Eagle Claw and videos of the forms 10 rows can be found on my blog using the Url link below.


Isshin - Concentration the Art: Once I attempted to soar with the eagles

No comments: