Saturday, December 9, 2023

The use of Kata Embusen in Isshinryu Training


 



In my case I was not taught this was an aspect of training. I do not use this as part of kyu instruction. I arrived at this from a long analysis of stance and stepping which evolved into a personal use of Isshinryu stepping as a weapons system. I use it at times in advanced instruction to more precisely emphasize stepping and in turn work on these applications potential.  The longer I study I see more uses from this sort of training.

 


Victor Donald Smith

I would accept that most kata could start and end in the same place. It is a point that some insist in this. On the positive side I think this is a superior training tool. To do so requires most precise use of stance and movement, especially when kicking in the kata. 

A few years ago, I noticed my senior students were moving forward through their Wansu kata. While very effective in technique execution, there was a difference.

I marked a spot and had each of them perform Wansu and made note of where they ended. 

Then I did the kata and completed on the spot I started. 

The reason for the change was the were stepping to large after kicking instead of placing the foot down. 

Understandable if in combat with the technique, but not developing precision IMO the most important aspect of the Kata drill. 

IMO the precision of stance, stepping and foot placement during kata, are also developing a method the lower body can be more useful in application potential. 

The more precision developed the greater abilities in time of stress. 

O to be young again. Of course, their faces were red.


Bill Viejo My instructor (Soke Shogo Kuniba) ALWAYS wanted us to end up on our X. Sometimes he'd tell us what we were doing to get off the mark; other times he'd have us figure it out ourselves via repetition.

Andy Sloane Shimabuku Sensei didn't teach starting and ending kata in the same spot.

Tom Lewis That is correct.

Richard Ruberto This is part of the embusen or path a kata travels on. It may not have been stress by Tatsuo sensei but seems to exist in most if not all Okinawan karate and kobudo. Perhaps but a few stayed long enough to learn it. Watching his kata it appears Tatsuo sensei did end where he started. My teachers of pass and present stress it as do I. I want it close but don't jump up and down if it isn't exact.

Michael Calandra This idea of finishing the kata in the same spot you started is a modern idea based on sport competition. I have never heard one of my Chinese martial art teachers ever even mention this.

David Wolff I would say it is a great practice in precision to do what you have done.

Victor Donald Smith In my case I was not taught this was an aspect of training. I do not use this as part of kyu instruction. I arrived at this from a long analysis of stance and stepping which evolved into a personal use of Isshinryu stepping as a weapons system. I use it at times in advanced instruction to more precisely emphasize stepping and in turn work on these applications' potential. The longer I study I see more uses from this sort of training. My use has nothing to do with starting and ending in the same spot, rather working for more efficiency to drop you as an attacker.

Jet Taylor Different arts, different practices. My early karate training stressed returning to the origin but once we began the Chinese studies, this was not possible due to the nature of some of the forms.

Joe Rios Primarily, the embusen was a reference point. Used to maintain consistency when performing kata with a group. It assisted in transitioning, proper foot placement and body mechanics. However, they are not meant to be written in stone as the body and its movements are not meant to be rigid or stagnant like most reference points, they are utilized to create good habits in training that will offer advantages in a "Real Time, Real Life" situation. The circumstances of an encounter or encounters with many opponents and the strategies used are derived from kata and are limited to the experience and understanding the concepts, strategies and principles. But they are NOT written in stone since no combative situation is.

 Certainly, point of REFERENCE is important in a group, taking note of proper execution of movement and techniques, mindful of line of travel, distance, recovery etc. Though it serves a significant role in training, one must learn to liberate themselves from it as to not prohibit fluidity and adaptability in a combative situation as well as curtailing the diversity and endless applications that may not be obvious within the embusen. And all too often kata is repetitiously practiced at the same speed which also prohibits fluidity and progress one should strive to practice kata at different speeds and with an uke to get a broader scope of knowledge. And as one practices.....look between the lines sort to speak, since no movements are wasted every movement as minor as it may appear has a function and application.









No comments: