Monday, October 9, 2023

Rank Standards - Uzeu Angi

 


Just for the record rank standards to me are whatever Lewis Sensei and Charles say they are to me. But these discussions are endless. This is representative of what they are like.

 

Andy Sloane This isn’t original.

Tatsuo Sensei delineated his rank requirements on paper at least once before and they are quite different from this.

 

Andy Sloane Yes, it is. And you will notice that Uezu Sensei says that the red-white belt (kohaku obi) is only authorized beginning at 7th Dan -- which is a very important detail that many in our style continue to overlook and/or are completely ignorant of.

The judo standard is to wear the kohaku obi at 6th Dan but it has never been that way for karate on Okinawa, and certainly never was it that way in Tatsuo Sensei's dojo. There are at least 6 first-generation students that I am aware of who are in agreement with that particular edict from Tatsuo Sensei: John Bartusevics, Uezu Angi, Shimabuku Kichiro, Harold Mitchum, A.J. Advincula, and Bill Blond.

 

David Rayburn Andy Sloane it really doesn't matter. I was awarded a red and white belt at 6th but didn't wear it enough to get it dirty. At 7th, I still wear a plain black belt, no stripes or kanji. I wear the red and white one for tests or when requested, like judging a tournament, etc.

 

Andy Sloane David Rayburn So if it "really doesn't matter" then why are you posting it and remarking that it's "historical"? That makes no sense to me.

 

Andy Sloane I think we should follow our founder's guidelines and wishes for his style. That's what matters to me.

 

David Rayburn Andy Sloane what I am saying is if you want to continue to wear a white belt, the knowledge is still there, the color of the belt makes you no better or worse as a teacher. Following Master Shimabuku's wishes, I agree, but what an organization chooses to do is up to them. Most of them award the red and white paneled belt at 6th. I think I remember you wearing a red and white 2 toned belt at 5th, Master Shimabuku never used that belt, so maybe it doesn't matter as much to you as you claim.

 

Andy Sloane David Rayburn The Renshi belt is not the same as the kohaku obi, and I was awarded the Renshi title when I was a 5th Dan.

 

David Rayburn Andy Sloane did Master Shimabuku award that belt to any of his students? I was a Renshi at 5th as well, but was never awarded that belt. If you want to follow the Master's teaching, then do so, but, you wore a belt that he never used. Now, that being said, I am really not in the mood to have a lengthy discussion with you on what is proper and what isn't. You want to be the leading authority on Isshinryu, be my guest. My mother had to be taken to the hospital from assisted living to have a blood transfusion,then to Senior care because she needs her medicine adjusted. This quarantine is keeping me from being with her when she needs me, so right now, this is not a priority.

 

 

 

 

 



No comments: