Tuesday, October 10, 2023

How I would construct a clinic for a friends non-Isshinryu dojo

 


I really did not normally share Isshinryu when giving a clinic in other Non-Isshinryu dojo.

Rather I normally used the Technique of No Technique. For Don Gladfelter I made an exception.


This was at Don Gladfelter's Shotokan Dojo in York Pa. I had begun training with Tristan Sutrisno in 1980 at Hazzleton Pa.  In the years I trained with him he always, every class, revealed something new about his art (Shotokan, Aikido, Tjimande and Kobudo), never werer there two classes which were the same. I was not his student but a friend from our competition days who he enjoyed sharing with.


Years later my father told me about a Shotokan instructor who lived on street over from his house. I walked over to meet him and introduced myself. He was fascinated that an Isshinryu practitioner knew so much about Shotokan, I introduced him to Tristan  and eventually he became a student of Tris.


But I had been training with Tristan for a longer time. Worked to never forget what I was shown and had experienced things Don had never seen.


So this was something new for his students who attended this clinic.


https://isshin-concentration.blogspot.com/2021/03/crafting-class-shotokan-july-2nd-2005.html




No comments: