Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Quicker than the eye can see


A kick is just a kick, we all know that.

I was watching the older video of Hiagonna Morio performing the Goju Sesan kata, and then the video of Sesan Kata bunkai.


Toward the end of the form he performs a front kick.



 
 

Now we all know the front kick, have done a million of them. Nothing different there. Then watching the Sesan Bunkai video  what happened caught my eye.

It is shown about the 2 minute point in the video.


 







 

What I saw was some subtlety with the kick. To me it seemed that after the front kick penetration the kick turned into a heel thrust and stomp in a downward direction.

There was something unusual going on with that front kick.  Watching how it was applied made that even more apparent.

 Then looking at the bunkai for the movement, I became more sure of it.








 



 
 

So there is some subtlety there. Okinawan arts hiding something in plain sight, Something too fast for most to register.

 

It makes more sense to me, in the transmission of my Isshinryu a kick in SunNuSu (Sunsu) kata is very similar. Of course there are many transmissions in Isshinryu, I cannot speak for them and the way they do that kick.

 

There are more things in All Okinawan Karate than there are stars in the sky.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I practice Shotokan but found this display most interesting. The height of the kicks appear less showy but at a very effective level.

Paul Coleman said...

MANY SUCH SUBTLE TECHNIQUES ARE IN GOJU. WELL SPOTTED :)

Unknown said...

Paul Enfield Sensei and Taria Masaji Sensei Cover this kick in detail. It may be of interest for you and others to check out their teaching/material.